Sunday, July 10, 2005

Thou Shalt Buy No More Books

Dear God, I have sinned again.

I had promised I would not do it again - not at least within this month. I even promised I would not step into that place where temptation lies awaiting.

But I did it again just today - all in a matter of 15 minutes.

I spent money on books again at Borders. Not one, not two, but three new books.


Yes, I stepped into Borders today, planning to 'just borrow' the loo on my way back to the carpark - and thinking a short stroll through the bookstore would do me no harm. Anyway, my parking had already expired; I couldn't afford to stay more than 5 minutes in that place.

Ha. As if I would care about parking.

I am now so adept in picking out books that would really interest me, I don't really need to browse through the books one by one, pick out ten books, then pore over which ones to buy. If the title arouses my interest, the blurbs sound good, the price satisfies me, I just pick and go.

And so, I picked three books and went away, all in 15 minutes - inclusive of loo time.


When the cash register rung up "$62", I must've had this horrific look on my face, and let out a groan a little too loudly. The man behind the counter laughed and said, "I understand, ma'am." What do you know, brudda?

Shamelessly, I replied, "Are you sure it's 62 bucks?"

But the man wasn't amused anymore. So I shut up, signed my bill and left.


But, you see, God, I bought this book "Anna and The Black Knight" - a sequel to the book I absolutely love: "Mister God, This Is Anna". So that discounts a little of my sin, doesn't it?

And I'm sure You wouldn't have minded that I spent my money on books, would You?

Books are after all treasures of wealth that would teach me wisdom for the rest of my life, aren't they?

Books are treasures of wisdom I can pass on to my kids in future - so they are indeed good investments, aren't they? If Piper and Gracie could read, I'd gladly share my books with them.

So, God, please forgive me. For my lack of self-control. And, please help me.

My credit bill is jacked up a little higher than it should already this month, but I'm sure You'll find a way out for me.


Hmm. I'm not so sure anymore if I'm seeking forgiveness or appeasing my own guilt.

No comments: