Saturday, July 16, 2005

Char Bor Buys Real Stuff At Challenger

I am excited, therefore I write now.

Just spent almost an hour in Challenger, flitting from wall to wall, looking at nothing but cables and chargers.

Almost thought I couldn't find the charger for my cell - maybe the phone model was too new. I was starting to feel this total sense of dejection and frustration when I realized my cell had a mini USB port instead, not the usual kind of mobile-charging port.

Ah! Didn't know my phone is so 'advanced'. I suddenly felt so 'proud' at discovering that.

Found and selected the cheapest and shortest USB-to-mini-USB cable I could find. Why the hell would I need to carry a 3-meter long cable in my luggage?!

Then decided maybe I should try and see if there're also USB chargers for my Palm and my digicam. If there are, then I wouldn't have to lug those heavy original chargers.

So that's how I ended up spending such a long time alone in a computer hardware store.

I found the charger for the Palm but not the G2. Damn. And the digicam charger is the big, bulky, heavy one.

Great, now I have to lug the chargers/adapters for my Thinkpad, my pbook and my G2, plus all the little cables I just bought. I think they easily add like ten pounds to my luggage weight.


Shopping alone at a hardware store, and actually emerging with some 'real' stuff, you suddenly get this immense feeling of pride.

I know, it's a 'char bor' thing. Buy a bit of computer things only, feel so proud of myself. Feel so 'man' - like I don't really need a man in my life to figure out techie solutions.

But hey, it's a smart way to lighten your load, ok. However little weight you manage to save.


Ok, so I've got two things on my to-do-today list down.

Don't have much time left, and the tasks left are the 'heavier' ones. Still, I can't stop my backside itchiness and had to plonk myself down at Coffee Bean.

Hey, at least, I haven't hung out at this outlet before. And I need to 'hao lian' about my buys.

Now, come to think of it, I sound so silly.


For the first time, after having travelled for long distances many times before, I suddenly felt like having dinner at home the night before I leave.

I sent a message to my brother, and asked him to come home for dinner tonight.

I hope he brings his kiddo.

Actually, I just feel like seeing the kiddo before I leave.

Don't want to buy wrong sizes, and I need to check out his 'style' first.

Haha.

Oh, and of course, I need to pack. So dinner at home will be a wise choice.

No comments: