Monday, August 22, 2005

Of All Things New

Mmm... I'm eating 'high-class' instant noodles while typing this - instant home-cooked ramen all the way from Nippon.

I am so loving this, methinks it's better than the Ajisen ones.

I was almost going to stay late in the office again tonight - until I really couldn't stand the thought of it. But I didn't want as well to waste time going out for dinner and then get back to the office at like ten.

Then I remembered those packets of ramen waiting for me on my desk at home. =) I hoped the girls hadn't ransacked my desk and chewed them up.

So I packed up my lappie immediately and headed home to feed my rumbling tummy - but not before stopping by IKEA to pick up something I had a sudden urge to buy.

A table lamp. One that is now giving my room a dull-yellowish soft-mood lighting.

I like it. It reminds me of my days in hall. And going to IKEA alone reminded me of those days of shopping excitedly for all kinds of rubbish for my single room - sheets, lamps, rugs, coffee tables. =) I really really miss those hall days.

Now, with this lamp, hopefully I can get some night-time reading done before I sleep every night. I have tons of books to finish. Borders must be grateful for customers like me - customers whose rate of consumption is much slower than the rate of purchasing.

And tonight, I hope I can stay awake to get some work done - if I don't fall drowsy to the soft lights.

The lamps pleases me so, probably because it also gives my room an immediate different feel.

If I can't get my own space anytime soon, I suppose I'd better change out my room in little manageable ways, just so the familiarity of this space doesn't have a chance to depress me.

Dejunk the room, move the furniture around (ha, if I can do this, I'd give myself a pat on my back), repaint the room walls, get new furniture if I can afford.

I think this little lamp makes a good start. =)


Other than the realization that I could save a whole two bucks from paying my traffic fines online, I made a few other 'discoveries' today that made me really pleased.

One, with a little exploration inspired by the traffic fine payments, I found out I could renew my monthly season parking tickets online as well, with the use of my credit card! Omg! No more stupid time-wasting queues at the HDB office at the start of every month.

Two, I found out if I tune in to Lush99.5, I could go on listening to great music that still makes my head bob while I drive - without having to suffer sappy lyrics from the love songs. Perfect. Either that, or I start tuning in to the Chinese radio stations - I think I will take a way longer time to grasp hold of the Chinese lyrics.

Three, if I cut down on my beers and my expensive dinners, I can actually afford to get myself a new pair of Birkies every month. Not much of a Nobel-prize-winning discovery, but the idea excited me just as much. You'd know it when you get to wear for yourself a brand new pair of Birkies. The first few times you wear it especially, the feeling is just so... hmmm... indescribable.


I am also realizing I'm beginning to like cheese more and more these days.

I don't remember how the love started, but I know I used to hate cheese. No cheddar in sandwiches even, it was that bad.

Now, I love my cheddar in sandwiches - better yet if it's a hot sandwich with melted cheddar. I love my cream cheese on toasted bagel. And I love my mozzarella on my pizza.

I still hate parmesan on my pasta, though. No way am I even sniffing that stuff.

I don't think I'll ever pop goat or blue cheese into my mouth like some folks do - adoringly.

Still, I like what I'm starting to like now. =)


But what I've come to realize most of all in these few weeks is this: that there is perhaps really no one else better in this world you can rely on other than... yourself.

I have always wanted someone to take care of me for the rest of my life.

Deep down inside, maybe I still do need someone.

But I have also learnt things the hard way - that what I want or need may not be what I can necessarily get.

One day, I hope I can be proven wrong. Till then, let me live on with my new 'discoveries'.

No comments: