Saturday, August 20, 2005

Impulse

Today is a day of impulse. =)

I drove to places, bought and did quite a bit of stuff - all on impulse.

Except for the collection of my phone and the toiletries bit.

Spent quite a fair bit of money too, that I perhaps shouldn't have. But I have a little extra money to spare this month, and the money spent today actually made me happy. =))


Taking care of myself, pampering myself, making myself feel good - it all doesn't come cheap nor free, I realize.

But for the first time in my life, I spent money on myself in ways I have never thought were wise of me before.

In the mall where I picked up my phone, I walked right into a skincare center and made an immediate appointment for a facial treatment. My first facial of my life. Yeah, at this ripe old age of 27.

In case you haven't noticed, I now declare my skin has finally cleared up and I am finally officially 'discharged' from the National Skin Center, all thanks to the pills they made me pop over the past five months. In fact, I thought it looks even a little better than it had been even before the breakout invaded my face. =)

The only right thing for me to do now is to 'maintain' it - after all the trauma and efforts spent.

Haha - yeah, women, if they really want it, do need a lot of maintenance after all. I just have been neglecting myself too much all these years.


Impulse number two: it was threatening to rain, so I decided to park my car at the underground at Wheelock, instead of my usual outdoor parking lots.

There was an advertisement for a brow shop on the third level right on the barrier at the entrance.

I decided I needed brow treatment, so I went up immediately once I got a space.

My first brow-shaping experience. Don't laugh.

I didn't get tweezed. I got threaded the Indian traditional way instead. Cheaper, and better, you see.

And I never had a problem with facial hair - not especially with the tiny ones sitting above my upper lip.

"Got meh? I got that bad upper lip hair meh?"

"Yes, it is casting a shadow on your lips - not very nice." Ok, if you say so, since you're the 'expert'.

So, I didn't get threaded just once, but twice instead.

The results look just fine - I feel new. In a way. They even managed to make me sign up for a ten-session package just so I could save more money. I feel so 'char bor' suddenly, haha.

All I can say, though, at the end of the 20 minutes is: damn fucking painful.


Walking out of the shop towards the escalator, I saw the new Birkenstock store.

Wow, a new bigger space must mean they have been doing really well. It was indeed crowded in the shop - when I bought my very first pair of Birkies years and years ago, the shop was a small little quiet one in Tanglin Mall where only ang-mohs patronized. Nobody I knew then knew of Birkies, and no one around the streets wore them. And they were fucking expensive then.

I walked in, browsed around, and walked out with a new pair - I had been eyeing them for too long, I just couldn't stop myself this time.

That makes impulse number three then. =)


My phone didn't die, and I didn't have to pay any single cent for the long 'hospital' stay.

But the battery has been corroded, and while it is still in working condition, it would run out pretty fast.

Because there was no stock at the service center, I decided to drive to Sim Lim to try my luck at finding a new battery at a 'cheaper' price.

Not only did I drive out of Sim Lim thirty minutes later with a new battery (actually, whether it was really cheaper or not, I wouldn't know because I didn't bargain and I had not checked out 'town' prices) in my bag, I got myself a bluetooth headset for my phone as well.

Something I had scorned at in the past, but now thought might come in useful because I always have to hang up after telling callers I'm on the road.

I didn't check out prices, I didn't scrutinize over brands, I didn't bargain - I hate all that hassling.

I just saw it, asked about the price, paid for it and left. A hundred bucks gone just like that.

Impulse number four - so un-me.

But then, any purchases from Sim Lim always make me feel good - I'm not a techie, but I like thinking that I am.


I think that's all for the day.

I have to stop further self-destruction.

I now only have the cake and the hairbrush to buy for the birthday girl.


I am glad that my day has been filled up with 'fun' today.

I'll just have to go back to work tomorrow, and then, my weekend will be over.

This is easy. One weekend at a time. =)

No comments: