Saturday, August 20, 2005

Gracie Day

It's Gracie Day!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The 'manja' princess turns three today, and she badly - very badly - needs a haircut.

But I haven't set up a date for that yet. So in the meantime, I'd need to buy a hairbrush to rid of all the kinks and mats in her messy hair. And there are a lot of them.

Gracie baby, let Mommy make that up to you by trying to get you a doggy cake ok?

That shall be task number two for today.


Gracie has only been with us for one-third of her life thus far.

We'll never really know how she led the first two-thirds but we know for sure that we have turned her into a happy, playful, lively dog - thanks in part to us, and much to Piper the big sister.

Thanks, Gracie, for the being the playmate and companion for Piper, the way we had wanted you to. I'm sure you have good fun too, playing rough with her all the time when I'm not home. I hope you find a sister and companion in Piper too.

Ok Gracie, this is almost like your twenty-first birthday, if you had been a human being like me.

Be good, grow up, but still remember to play and be happy all the time ok.

You are so lucky to be a dog, you know.


Spending Gracie's third birthday reminds me of Piper's third birthday two years ago.

Then, I had only her and she only me, and we were almost inseparable. The then-Papa was away in Perth, and could not spend her third birthday with us. Well, at least not physically.

So I did what I could do best so that we were around him on this day, if he couldn't be around us.

I gave Piper her presents - a new red collar and a green dog-tag in which you could stuff a note (no, she doesn't need to bring dollar bills out with her but a piece of paper that states her address would be nice) and a soft squeaky dog-toy that looks exactly like her.

I had given her a haircut the day before then, so we would look our best for Papa.

I put her in her new collar, grabbed her in my arms and sat us on the bed in front of the camera.

And then we sent all these pictures to Papa in Perth. That way, we had hoped Papa would know we so wanted him to be here with us that day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I can't help thinking of this. The picture is just stuck right next to me on the wall.


I am up unusually early today.

I thought I would have loved to sleep in till the afternoon. I have lots of work to catch up on in the office this weekend, so that hopefully fills up the vast amount of spare time I have.

But today, I just want to make it my day - no work, just me. And Gracie and Piper too.

It's probably also a good time to get those long-awaited errands done. There are the toiletries to be bought, the phone to be picked up, the traffic offences to be settled.

And then, there's the cake and the hairbrush.

I thought I'd like to get my car washed once and for all today - but the sky seems to be darkening and I don't think I'll have the time and energy to drive to somewhere today.

I'll bring my pbook and a real book out along with me though - I think today's a fine day for a hot skinny latte.


All said, I just hope I don't fall back into bed after I'm done with this.

No comments: