Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"You're Looking Good, My Dear"

I brought home an extra two hundred and forty bucks in my pocket today.

Part mahjong winnings, part training allowances.

Yes, after all these years, I'm finally paid, albeit just a pittance, for playing basketball.

Boy, am I delirious or what.


I visited a sista's place after dinner, and ended up at the mahjong table with her mom.

It was a strange sight: sista eventually went out to party with her other friends, while me and three other buddies stayed behind to entertain her mom.

More often than not, it was the other way round. Sista's mom turned out an entertainer herself.

Somehow, the mahjong-table conversation led to us kaypohs questioning sista's mom about sista's ex.

The ex whom sista found out to be two-timing her with another woman - after they had been together for like six or seven years, after they had bought an apartment together, and just before they were about to get married.

Without a doubt, she dumped him. It turned out good for her: she's now happily engaged to be married to someone else who seems to really love her, and whom she really adores.

It turned out, for me as well, to be the first of a series of broken relationships I was about to encounter in my recent life. Mine included.

Sista's mom had no qualms talking about the ex. She was even hilarious to some bit, as she spoke animatedly about everything.

I kept very silent while the other sistas pursued with their questioning. They seemed amused by Auntie, but I was getting a little affected.

Silently, I started thanking my mom for her seeming understanding about us.

I just hoped my sistas would never end up at the same mahjong table as my mom, and she would never speak of him in the same manner.

After all, she seemed to adore him before.

Some things, they can never be expected. Nor can they be prevented.

I so wanted to tell sista's mom: "Auntie, cannot really blame him. He's not the exceptional one. All men are like that."


*****

My hotpot-with-cabbage-rice dinner with A.Mag was peaceful and enjoyable.

We ended the meal with the two of us sitting in front of her huge TV, legs propped up on stools, sipping on freshly brewed green tea.

A few times, the conversations led to her asking about The Nephew. But mostly, I was just updating her on my life.

She seemed happy for my impending changes, but I knew she didn't really like the idea of me going away.

You know, A.Mag? You know very well the reason why I don't want to go too.


*****

"You are the bravest girl I've met. Please go on, but please don't go back."

I'm thankful for your encouragement, girl.

But I am too perplexed now to make a decision. One that I would never regret.


*****

Ok. Enough of talk, and thoughts, for tonight.

It's time I catch some sleep.

Training at ten in the morning.

Hope I make it.

No comments: