Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Head-In

I did! I did! I went for training!

Not quite, actually. Couldn't do anything with my stump but hit the gym, though.

I kinda hate gym, but I'm also beginning to see the usefulness of strength training.

It's time I make some use of our free entitlement to the gym. Just one of the very few perks I really enjoy from work. Other than that? Nothing much else.

Also, buddy told me yoga has helped another buddy curb her back and neck problems. Yeah, maybe I really should.


Since I can't really practise my dancing in three-inch heels for quite a while, I'm gonna pick me up another new skill.

Parking head-in, and successfully on the first try - without any need to reverse and adjust my position.

(By the way, what the hell is the opposite for 'reverse parking' - forward parking??)

First, I'll practise with empty lots on either side of my targetted lot. Then, once I grasp the turning angle, I'll progress to parking between two cars.

I have always been fascinated by the way all Americans park their cars head-in-first - just like that, with a snap of your fingers. No one in the U.S. of A. reverse-parks.

In fact, when you're in the States, you just can't help yourself but feel compelled to park the way they do. Though, of course, you do it in t-o-r-t-o-i-s-e speed.

So embarrassing, sometimes. Really.

I was intrigued, and I needed to find some theory for the American Parking Syndrome.

I concluded: Americans must be real lousy in reverse-parking. Either that, or they are simply too lazy to reverse-park.

Until someone (and I can't remember if this someone is American or not) offered me the supposed reason.

Americans choose to park head-in-first, so that they don't hold up the cars waiting in line behind them and thus cause a jam in the car-park. Which is kinda true, that reverse-parking usually takes more time, especially when you suck at it.

So. Americans are considerate drivers.

Ha. Why am I so amused?


Considerate driver, I may be. But I can be a meanie on the road at times too.

I just want to learn parking head-in because I want a new skill I can show off to the boys.

And probably so I don't embarrass myself the next time I drive in Portland. Ha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, how come you never marvelled at how i forward-park with as much flair as i reverse-park and parallel-park?

fatmama said...

I do... secretly. I just am not comfortable with open admiration. =)

helmetwang said...

wWhen I was driving more then, I did all my parks the head-in way. Same logic with the Americans and yes, felt that it's easier that way too : )