Monday, January 02, 2006

"Minah"

It's five in the morning.

I've just reached home barely an hour ago, and usually I'd have gotten hell from Pa at this ungodly hour.

But nooo... I escaped scot-free tonight. All thanks to the old man himself.


I was sipping on my last Hoe, getting ready to head home at half-past-two when my phone rang.

It was Pa - calling from his mobile. Somehow then, I knew it wasn't going to be a nagging phone-call. Phew.

Still, it was so unusual of him to be calling me from his mobile at this hour. He should still be at his mahjong game - why the hell would he be nagging at me when he wasn't home himself yet?

Pa: Mei ah, are you still out?
Mei: Yes.
Pa: Are you going home soon?
Mei: Yes.
Pa: Can you come and pick me when you're going home?
Mei: ?!?!?! ... Er, ok. What time?
Pa: Er... what time are you leaving?
Mei: Soon. Pick you in about half an hour's time?
Pa: Er... ... ok. You give me a call when you're here.

!!!!!
I must go and buy 4D tomorrow liao!

My Pa plays mahjong regularly and almost every Sunday. But he has never done this - that is, asking me to pick him up on my way home, and on such 'friendly' terms. My phone conversations with him at such hours would usually be a much more hostile one:

Pa: Mei ah!!! Still not coming back?!?!
Mei: Ha na... out with friend lah.
Pa: You ah!!! Tomorrow no need to work ah?!?! Every night sleep so late!!!
Mei: ... ... (dying to hang up on him) ... Ok ok. Coming home soon.
*clicks*

And I'd hang up on him before he could yell another word. The timing is always just so right - he'd call everytime just when I'd have already parked my car, but just before I could step into the house.

It was so weird tonight, I almost freaked out.

I figured. He must have lost quite a bit at his mahjong game tonight - and he'd no money to take a cab home.

Yeah, that must be it.


I sensed the uncertainty in his voice anyway, and I knew he wouldn't be ready by the time I reached where he was.

I ended up arriving a little too early at a quarter to three, and then the phonecall came - as expected:

Pa: *sounding a tad sheepish* Er, Mei ah, I still cannot finish the game leh. You wait for me until I call you, ok.
Mei: *rolling my eyes and throwing a dirty look* Ok...

And I ended up drinking kopi-o alone at this dodgy kopitiam along Craig Road at three in the morning. I was simply inviting stares from all the dirty old men and foreign workers, who eyed me and then the Thai girls standing outside the kopitiam.

And trust me, I wouldn't know where the hell Craig Road is as well, if not for my old man.

I couldn't stay at the kopitiam for long. I ended up reading my book in the car. Which, by the way, is a very bad idea, after three Hoes and a quick kopi-o rushed down your throat.

By the time my old man appeared, I realized I had been waiting for almost an hour, almost stuffed to death in my car.

I didn't talk much on the way home; he was just nagging at the speed I was driving at. As usual, I ignored by keeping my mouth shut and keeping my foot on the accelerator.

I would never figure out if he really had no more money for a cab ride, or if he was just saving himself that cab money.

Sigh.

I don't mind picking you up, Pa.

Just that, if you'd like me to fetch you home again, please stop nagging at my late nights - ALL THE TIME.


*****

Now it's almost six.

The kopitiam downstairs has started operation - I can hear the glasses clanking away.

Time to snooze. I have barely a couple of hours left.

Of all things to do, I have to make myself a breakfast appointment at nine in the morning - on the last day of my 'holiday' before I hurl myself back into the throes of work.

Sigh. One bad decision already.

No comments: