Sunday, June 26, 2005

Nice Shoes

It was such a whirlwind afternoon.

Since I was already late for my original hair appointment, I decided there was no point rushing there, and maybe it would be a better idea to scour for my shoes first. That, I thought, would be a much tougher task-on-hand.

Again, I hit the usual Shaw-Tangs-Taka-Wisma loop. Small circle it may seem, but if you were to be as indecisive as I was and bounce from shop to shop to shop all around the loop, you'd get irritated by the crowded underpass and weekend shoppers who didn't seem to be rushing at last-minute shopping for a wedding dinner like I was.

Well, it was a tough shopping trip, having to imagine the dress everytime I saw a pair of shoes or tried one on. I'd stare for a long while at the shoes, or at myself in the mirror with the shoes on, while I tried to imagine how the dress would go with the shoes. I had something ideal in mind, but you know, you'd never get your perfect shoes, or dress or anything for that matter, when you're doing last-minute shopping.

Gee, I never learn that lesson.

I was almost proud, in the end, that I made a good buy. A $300 pair of heels that cost me only $80 - all because of an original 50% discount, an additional 10% discount slapped on top of it (because it happened to be the last second day of sale at Tangs) and a $50 voucher I had redeemed months ago. I got such a kick outta it.

I vow to shop more often for dresses and shoes, even when I don't have a wedding to attend anytime soon.

Ha.


I got my hair done at six, and reached home only at seven.

The mad rush happened after.

Ironing. Showering. Dressing. Face-painting. Looking for ang-pow. Looking for spare change.

I reached the Pines only at 8. It was the first time ever I drove in heels. In my mad rush, I had lost the good sense of taking off my shoes. My already-worn-out calves almost cramped up. Yes, try driving a manual in heels, and in a slow evening-dinnertime traffic.

Dinner didn't start till 9. I was so famished, and all I had the whole day was only ice-cream - haven't bought shoes, haven't cut hair, how to sit down for lunch?

The man was so exhausted having spent the entire day up and running about. We left earlier than the gang, and without even a shower-down, he's been slumped in bed since. He's got an important 'flight' tomorrow.

I showered and felt sleepy all of a sudden (the red wines I had must've a very slow effect). I don't know why, though, I woke up at 4.30 and couldn't sleep again.


Just as dinner was ending, I started thinking how 'ordinary' this wedding dinner felt to us invited guests. It was just like any other dinner I've attended. It usually ends up as some sort of 'gathering' for me; I chat and catch up more with the table of friends than with the couple themselves. What a pity, I've always felt.

I looked at the man, and thought, this is the first time I'm seeing him in a dress suit (uniform not counted). He's wearing too the tie I got him in Frisco. It suddenly got me thinking how old we already are. Dressing up like this is somehow expected of us now.

I received a couple of compliments on my dress too. Then I remembered, other than the one time I got up for the restroom, no one has really seen my shoes. Nor my earrings. Nor my rings. Nor my dress.

I think it's funny. You get so anxious about finding the dress, the perfect shoes and accessories to go with it, and wanting to look pretty for the night. Then the day comes, you attend the dinner, sit at the table for 2 hours, have a half-body picture taken with the roaming couple, get up and leave for home after the dinner. Is it really worth the pain (and money)? Is anyone really gonna care if you don't wear the right shoes to go with your outfit?

Haha, the answer I think is: I don't think so. It's all but a feel-good sensation - wearing beautiful clothes and looking good. Even if no one else really cares. And the shopping bit can get quite fun as well.


Oh. The first thing the man said to me as we left the dinner was, "Nice shoes."

At least, someone noticed. =)

No comments: