Friday, April 27, 2007

Libero

I thank my God for Wikipedia.

For it has saved my ass from numerous potential incidents of embarrassment.


Like, without Wiki, would I have been able to act so cool in front of the polo dudes?

Without Wiki, would I have known that a shuttlecock that is tipped just over the net onto the opponent's court is called a 'drop'?

Without Wiki, would I have known that volleyballers, unlike badminton players, score a point on an error, regardless of service?


And my new word of the day: Libero.

The libero is a player specialized in defensive skills: the libero must wear a contrasting jersey colour from his or her teammates and cannot block or attack the ball when it is entirely above net height.

No wonder I keep seeing these kids who wear a different-colored jersey and worst of all, I go, "Wahlau, another kid who forgot to bring his jersey."


I know. You don't have to tell it to me.

I am rather ignorant for a sports-writer. But hey, I am only a wannabe.

No comments: