Saturday, October 29, 2005

Chou Dou Fu

Wheeee!!

It was practically mission-impossible in Hong Kong, but I actually found a cafe right smack in Causeway Bay that provides free wi-fi! And great skinny latte to boot.

A quaint little bookstore on the second level of an old building, it is so obscure I would've missed it if I hadn't been so hungry for coffee.

Good thing most books sold here are Cantonese, so I wouldn't care much for them. And so I wouldn't be spending more money on books again.

I'm more interested in the wi-fi, honestly. So I'm just sitting on the sofa right next to the big window that serves a great view of Times Square - and the crazy flock of people walking around.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I love the cup and the saucer and the teaspoon that serve my latte. So quirky. I would've bought some back home - if I still had plans to set up my own place. But I don't, so I'm saving my money.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Hongkies speak loud. As in, real loud. Absolutely just like the Chinese in the mainland. I'm stuck between plugging in to my iPod and straining my ears to listen to 'Tong Hua'. Such a pity. Great music but noisy ambience.

So people, if you are sucker for free wi-fi cafes with great lattes just like I am, it's People Bookstore for you. Causeway Bay, right across from Times Square, second level next to the huge Eu Yan Sang store.

As if anyone else would care... hmm.


*****

I realize I maciam look so pro.

Carrying a pro-looking camera, using a pBook, telling people I wanna put their store name on my 'web site'.

(What else could I have said? Would they understand a 'blog'?)

I could easily pass off as some travel journalist, couldn't I? Hur.

Which, by the way, really happens to be one of my dreams. To be a travel journalist.


*****

The number of people in Hong Kong is amazing. Crazy amazing. Crazy irritating amazing.

And I am taking back my words.

I have a love-hate relationship with Hong Kong.

I love the stuff they sell but I hate the crowds I have to jostle with. I hate the rudeness of the people. I hate the chirpy way the girls in the retail stores greet you.

I love this cafe but I hate the restaurants.

*****

Ooh! My first whiff of 'smelly beancurd' today.

And it really REALLY stinks. REALLY stinko. Big-time. Gawd.

One-time experience is more than enough.

No comments: