Wednesday, October 05, 2005

28

Being 28 doesn't feel any different from 27.

Being 28 only makes you feel one year closer to the big three O that seems a little more frightnening now.

Or maybe, the best has yet to come for the rest of my 28th year.

Well, it'd better be good - anything that happens should be better than whatever happened to me in my 27th year, yeah?


The big three O.

I don't know what happened. I used to so look forward to it.

That was when I had plans and directions - to a certain extent.

Now, the thought of hitting the big three O when you have no plans or goals seems much scarier.


There was no big-day celebration last night.

I was out almost the entire day, accompanying my guest from Hong Kong. Business discussion, lunch, retail tour, then dinner.

And since I was stuck with business obligations that made me give up time for any celebration, I thought the company should 'pay' for the personal sacrifices I had to make.

Boy, did I have a feast yesterday.

Lunch at Crystal Jade, then dinner at my favorite crabby place. I considered these my big-day meals. Thanks, er, Boss.


The crabby place was surprisingly packed on a Tuesday night.

While we were tucking into our crab legs and claws, partially engrossed in our dinner conversations, a sudden loud whistle-blow startled all of us. Everyone at the crabby place, in fact.

"Parking lai liao! Parking lai liao!"

And all of a sudden, we saw hoards of people (me included) getting up from their chairs and running toward the carpark.

Haha. I thought this was hilarious.

And I thought this is what's called true customer service.


I still wasn't packed for my trip yet when I met up with Skyboy, Pat and Jase for 'quick drinks' - which didn't quite turn out to be 'quick' after someone was late for almost two freakin' hours.

Well, since it's my big-day - though I'm the Queen - I thought I should be nice to everyone and just wait.

The boys insisted on staying till 12 to spend my pre-big day night together right to the end.

Hur hur. Thanks boys, though I had to eventually rush through my packing in a very 'happy' mood.

It's such a strange surprise.

Friends who seemed to have disappointed you are the ones who make it a point to make your big day special, no matter how little time you have for them, and no matter how simple the event can be.

Really - thanks, boys.


I had three boys spending time right up to the hour where I turned a year older and being the first to send me their best wishes.

I used to have only one man who would do that.

You'd know which I would still have preferred.


"In case i forget, happy birthday a day in advance..."

"Wow. Thanks man. So tat's how gettin old is like, u might forget frens' bdae..."

"I remembered. Suddenly occurred to me..."

Sigh. Ok, sweet enough lah. By your standards.

And I won't forget your boots in KL or BKK.


The birthday cake arrived over MSN on time too. =)

It tasted so sweet.


Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday to me-e-e,
Happy birthday to me.

It had been a tradition for years.

Someone would be self-proclaimed 'King' for almost the rest of the year, while I'd be 'Queen' for this special, precious week in October.

It was so fun. I'd cherish my reign as Queen and make sure I exercised my powers to the fullest - while I still had them.

Now, I'm Queen to no one.

I'm only me. Just me. Mother of two bitches - one crazy bitch and one scaredy-bitch.


I'd have to think of a real good wish for myself this year.

For now - I need to wash up and get dressed for the airport.

Breakfast appointment with a friend at the departure hall, who happens to be flying to Taiwan at the same time as I am leaving for KL.

No comments: