Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Storyteller

Morning, morning, good morning.

I'm sitting at Coffee People again, but earlier this morning. All because the meetings start earlier at eight.

After Day One, I am already getting sick of these meetings. Don't these people know how to keep a roomful of jet-lagged folks awake as they 'present'?

Gawd.


Tell a story.

That, was the most important thing I learnt from my training session in HK last week.

Whenever you need to make a point, tell a story.

One, people stay awake and listen because everybody loves a good story.

Two, people get your point when you tell a story because they feel personally connected to 'real-life' situations.

Three, people remember your stories (if they are good, that is) and so they remember the point you were trying to make.

If there's anything I need to learn right now, to better myself, that is to: tell a gawddamn good story.


That's nothing new to me, actually. Telling stories.

I always like telling stories, though they are pretty much crappy and make no point. Then again, you don't need to make any point when you're just sitting around, loafing with buddies.

And, I've always wanted to be a super-cool Grandmom in the future. Telling lots of interesting life stories to my super-awed grandkids.

See, for that, I know the importance of story-telling, and being able to absorb everything I learn from simple life experiences, from daily interactions with folks, from pure observation of the world around you. Then being able to craft a beautiful tale out of my not-so-grand existence in life.

Like I always tell myself: if I ain't got a story to tell, I ain't living a life.

I've always thought I have a couple of missions in life.

One, I am to love, and to make someone feel loved and so be the best person he can be on this earth.

Two, I am to love dogs.

Three, I am to make people around me happy. Even if it means having to sacrifice my time when friends need it. Even if it means I have to 'uglify' myself, be a clown and make friends laugh. Even if it means I have to lift the little one off the ground and spin him round and round in the air, like ten times in a row.

The things that come out of my mouth, they don't seem right for a girl. I'll give you an example tomorrow - an illustrated one.

Friends tell me, "Aiyo, can you speak or act more like a girl?" But still, I make them laugh - before they would tell me off.

Life without comedy is a sad, sad one.

Even if I have to dig my own sorrowful life and make a joke out of it.


Now, I just have to learn to make use of my story-telling skills, and make a living out of it.

Doesn't sound that bad, does it?


*****

It's Valentine's here in the US. And the day's almost over back home in Singapore.

Not a biggie.

Without fail, I have always been spending every Valentine's in Portland. That is sucky, but I'm already used to it.


I know where you are, and you're not home.

I wish I could send you a message over the phone, but it's probably the Big Guy's doing that my crappy phone is not working at all here in Portland. Forever 'searching' for the bledy network.

Still, if you could read my heart from wherever you are, you'll feel my message for you.

Happy Valentine's.

To everyone who has a precious date tonight, hold on tight and never let go.

No comments: