Saturday, February 25, 2006

I am...

Heroine? Or fool?


For the past five years, I have always parked my car outside at the housing estate across the road from the office building. The season parking at the office building costs twice as much. Only a short walk across the street, and a bit more. Not a big deal.

I am not the most religious season-parking payee you have out there.

Somehow I dislike the idea of paying via GIRO. And I never pay for anything more than a month's worth of season-parking.at any time. I'd rather join the queue at the HDB office every month.

Why? If I ever quit, it's less of a hassle - no need to cancel GIRO, no need to ask for refund of subsequently unused parking. I see it also as a good morning break from my desk once a month. Ha.

That said, you'd never find me queueing anytime before the first of every month, nor on the first or the second day itself. If I'm good, I'd be buying my ticket only on the 4th, or the 5th. I simply hate having to queue when everyone else is scrambling to get their parking on time.

In that manner, I'm a risk-taker. I am running out of excuses everytime I get booked for 'parking without a valid season parking coupon'.


I haven't bought my season ticket for the month of February. And I didn't intend to.

There was a long Chinese New Year break from work, then there was the long travelling schedule from Hong Kong to Portland. By the time I was back to work, there were only a few more days left in the short month of February to go.

I refused to pay for the full amount just for a few days.

So, I took a risk again, and decided to 'park without a valid season parking coupon' everyday. And then pray I wouldn't get booked. Anyway, if I did ever get a booking, it'd cost me fifty bucks, which would still fifteen bucks be less than the season parking cost.

Can. Can take the risk. I didn't think I would really be that 'suay'.


Friday, February 24. Only 3 more working days to go. And still no ticket. Good.

Had a chat with an office mate in the morning, and made a startling discovery.

There is a 'Park and Ride' carpark across the other road on the other side. A slightly further walk from the office.

And it costs all of only three bucks to park for the entire day. Three dollars for a day! On which bloody planet had I been living?

A season-parking ticket in that carpark would cost me seventy bucks, but forty of it would go into the top-up of an Easylink card - and my parking would effectively cost me only one dollar per day - one freakin' dollar a day!

Mai tu liao.


Left the office, walked across the road to the carpark, toward my car - only to see a ticket stuck between my windscreen wipers.

I knew it.

I knew the Big Guy would not stop playing tricks on me.

Why? Why wouldn't the parking attendant come just a little bit later?!


Drove over to the other carpark. Spotted a couple of attendants making their rounds.

I found a lot, parked my car, and placed three one-dollar coupons on my dashboard.

As I left the carpark, I decided to check out what the cars were being booked for. To my astonishment, I saw that all the cars with three one-dollar coupons were booked.

I walked up to the attendant and asked, "Uncle, isn't this a Park-and-Ride carpark?"

"Yes, Miss."

"Isn't it only three-dollars per day?"

"Yah."

"Then why are you booking all these cars?"

"Oh no, Miss. You need to buy the season-parking coupon then you can park for three dollars."

"Er... no, I don't think so. I think without coupon also can park for three-dollars."

Then came the best part.

Uncle: "Is it? Are you sure?"

Wah lau eh!


Because I insisted, Uncle checked with his other buddy. Who apparently seemed confused by me now as well.

I rolled my eyes and thought, "Super cannot make it."

A radio-call was made back to the office to confirm on my 'allegations'.

A little while later, Uncle said, "Sorry ah, Miss. You are right."

After which, he and his buddy went back to all the cars to remove the tickets.

I shook my head in disbelief, and at the same time, felt a sense of heroic pride beaming all over me.


Now, I cannot believe how many tickets I have paid for that were probably unwarranted.

I have lost faith in the stupid system.

'Very on' is one thing. 'Too on' is another.

No comments: