Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Heong Kong Mui

My life as a 'heong kong mui' over the past weekend has been filled with quite some fun, a little bit of peace, and some bit of a guilt.

Moved out of the hotel on Saturday into gal-pal Mrs Sharkey's home at Wan Chai. Well, actually the home belongs to Mr Sharkey. But anyhow... it's theirs.

Mr & Mrs Sharkey share a nice, relatively big (by HK standards, at least) apartment on top of a small hill, that costs a whopping amount of rent. Gross, HK rentals they are. Well, the fact that I could sleep in the comfort of a guest room, right between the study and the master, tells you how big the apartment is.

Atop a small hill, the Royal Sharkeyness stay. To get to the streets, you gotta walk down a long flight of steps. Walking down is not a problem; walking up fucking is.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Spent the first part of the afternoon 'yum cha-ing' with Mrs Sharkey. Girl talk session - something rare with Mrs Sharkey, but I appreciated it. =)

After the luggage was dumped, I spent the rest of the evening at Causeway Bay, mostly on my own, while the Royal Sharkeyness went out on some dinner function.

I walked down the stairs and into the streets that led me to Causeway Bay. It was a sight. Almost pretty much like the HK scenes I am used to on television.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Where you find Filipinos, you will see basketball games like this. And Filipinos are practically in every corner of the world. And I found this a heartwarming sight. Something so close to my heart, so familiar to my eyes. =)


Man, did I tell you I hate the crowds in HK?

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

People are everywhere. They push, they bump, they crawl, they stop, and then they frustrate.


After a failed attempt to find my boots, I decided to search for the place I've intended to hunt down.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Not that tough a mission. =)

In here, cats are everywhere. Where you sit. And where you're supposed to eat off.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

This Royal Catness seemed to be the highlight of the cafe. And it was sitting right on my table. I couldn't figure out how I would eat my noodles if it's sprawled right in front of me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fat Cat. That's what all the other customers, mostly giggly schoolgirls, called it.

The name brought a twitch to my heart. Was it fated Fat Cat had to jump right on top of my table the minute I sat down? Silly thoughts again.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Dinner of udon and clams cooked in sake soup was actually pretty decent. I'm coming back.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Met up with the Royal Sharkeyness again after dinner. How could I do without drinks?

My craving was satisfied in Feather Boa. A secret hang-out of the Sharkeys that you and I would never have known about. Simply because the pub looked so run-down on the outside... and there was no signboard at all.

It was so weird when Mr Sharkey suddenly whipped open the door and whisked me into the pub. I was like, Huh?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The place was beautiful in the warm red light.

The strawberry-chocolate daiquari and the chocolate martini were fantastic.

But the place was just too small and full of kwai los. Quite irritating.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That's Mr & Mrs Sharkey for you.


Sunday was spent looking for more boots.

Later in the afternoon, we took a MTR-mini-bus ride to Sai Kung. Other than alcohol, I crave seafood too.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It was pretty cool. You get to pick what you eat.

We went to the wrong restaurant, though - they cooked our prawns the wrong way. Or maybe, we just ordered the wrong dish.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The first time in my life that I saw horseshoe crabs. The name was weird, the looks were even weirder.


Words that amuse and confuse.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I couldn't argue with the last one, though.


Hong Kong was nice, being a heong kong mui was fun for a while.

Staying there could be a whole different story.

Gotta think about it more.


*****

Then, of course, there was that thing that happened.

Something I don't wish to forget, but I don't wish to think about too.

Let's just live and let live. Or, is it - live and let die?

No comments: