Sunday, November 13, 2005

Director

Despite the hectic deadlines and the stress, I am loving this. Running the show, that is.

Now I know what being a director feels like.

You feel so much in control. You get this immense satisfaction when you see your own ideas being played out on stage by others. You say what you want, and they have no choice but to work around it. You feel so... so shiok.

There are those few songs, in my library and in my mind, that I've always fantasized using for my own shows - if I were ever given an opportunity to stage one.

Strong, powerful songs that speak to me volumes and that would surely represent my ideas. I dream so much.

But dreams sometimes, if you're lucky enough, do come true. Thank God.


I was at the dance rehearsal this afternoon.

No, I'm not dancing. I'm not even choreographing. But I dictated the kind of dance I wanted.

And since my 'it' girl of the moment is Gwen, I told the dancers, "I would like to use 'Hollaback Girl'. Do you think you could work something around that?"

Could they say 'no'?

The other dance would turn out to be Jazz. But it is looking more 'Flashdance' to me.

I am liking it. I like it so much, I am toying with the idea of getting the dancers to wear something 'Flashdance' style for that segment.

Choreographer said to me, "That's a good idea, but unless the guys are gay, I think they are going to protest."

Quite true. Men in tights and leotards? Er... maybe not.


Along with the sense of control and achievement comes a whole lot of stress too.

The stress comes when I can't get hold of 'cheap' dancers and choreographers.

The stress comes when I realize I don't have a tech/stage crew and I have no one to work my lights.

The stress comes when I haven't finished my scripts.

The stress comes when I have done the slides.

There is indeed a whole lot more of stress.


And most of all, just like a true director, I am a perfectionist.

Well, at least, a near-perfectionist.

Which probably explains why I stay throughout the dance rehearsals, and why my scripts never get finished.

I'm never really satisfied with work-in-progress.


Being a director is sure tough.

No comments: