Monday, November 07, 2005

Bye Ah Ma, Bye Kor

I was having my usual cup of kopi-o at the coffeeshop near the office and sitting right in front of this trio of granny and her two grandkids this morning.

Granny said to grand-daughter who looked like a tiny 5-year-old, "Hurry up and finish your food. Your father will be here any minute to pick you up (for school)."

By the way, it was pretty incredible that grand-daughter and her elder brother, who must've been no more than 8 years old, were both drinking teh. Yes, teh - not Milo.

In a little while, Granny said, "Your father is here! Quick, have a few more sips of your drink."

Being the kay-poh that I am, I stretched my neck out a little, expecting to see a car driving up to the kerb-side. Instead, I saw a man in his late forties riding up in one of those traditional bicycles with a basket in front.

"Give me your bag. You go get a few more sips of your drink."

So. That's the father.

Little girl climbed up onto a tiny seat attached in front of father. And then father and daughter cycled off, with a chirpy "Bye Ah Ma, bye Kor" from the little girl.

I really didn't know what to make of this scene.

Strangely, I had mixed feelings - about what, I exactly don't know. But mostly I was just overwhelmed.

No comments: