Thursday, March 08, 2007

GAPed

I first saw the ad in the papers way back in December, just before I left for Honks. Immediately roused with excitement, and perhaps out of a little impulse as well, I sent the email.

Got the surprising phonecall while I was still drowsy in Honks, and after some quick explanation of my schedule, we made a date to meet immediately once I came back to Singers.

We met, on a coincidentally fateful Wednesday. We liked each other, at least mildy enough. But I couldn't quite cut it still. Got some blatantly honest explanation and advice, the straight-talking and frankness I actually liked because she reminded me of me. After almost two hours (including some long waits), I got up, straightened my pretty skirt, shook hands, said my thanks, and bade goodbye.

And that, would also have been back in December.

*****

So Red Shooter says to Red Babe, to please try to wear red if possible.

And I have been errant. Not that I was being a rebel again, but it's true, Red Babe hasn't quite bought any red shirts in recent years.

Yestermorning, I looked at the wardrobe and remembered I did have some old red stuff, probably untouched and tucked away in some corner. Probably very creased too.

I must've fallen victim to the 'tiny-tee-that-exposes-your-belly-button' fad at some point. Either that, or tee-shirts do actually shrink when kept in storage for donkey years. I could find nothing suitable to wear - not at least at my age now.

And then, I pulled out my once-favorite tee. Bought it during one of them crazy shopping moods in the States, from the boys department, in size 'XS'. So yes, it is tiny too.

But it is bright bloody red. And it spells "G A P" in obsidian blocks across the chest.

Loved it. Realize I still love it. So I put it on, belly-button flashing and all.

Purrfect.


The spooks took place about a couple of hours later, while I was sitting in Office No. 3, cranking up the juices in my brain, trying to churn the words out.

"We'd like to see you again. Are you free Friday afternoon?"

"Er..."

"The GM is flying in from KL on Friday, and she'd like to meet up with you. 3.30 can?"

"Er... sorry, what position is this again?"

"The brand manager job for GAP? That's what you applied for. Isn't it?"

"Er, yes of course. But I last met you guys in December... Are you sure you called the right person?"

"Hahaha... yes. We want to see you. See you Friday 3.30."

"Erm. Ok."


Funny things do happen to funny people. Perhaps that's how they are funny people. No?

I am still feeling a tad amused.

No comments: