Thursday, May 05, 2005

Sprains and Dreams

Sprained my neck, yet again. While sitting at my desk. Yes, doing nothing vigorous, except maybe pounding away on my keyboard. Then again, I wasn't; I was just lazily scrolling through my emails.

Maybe I was still 'sleeping' then.

Not a very bad one this time, but it still hurts like crazy. Can't turn my head left nor right without pain. Is there any quick fix for this? I feel so dumb.

Have been incurring strange dreams of late. Strange enough to make me remember and ponder over them even after I wake. They seem so real yet so unfamiliar. They seem to reflect things the way I want them to be. Because of that, they confuse me with the real life I'm living in. I actually wake up every morning, wondering if my dreams were in fact real-life occurences. But mostly, I end up disappointed because they were merely dreams.

I wake up every morning and look at the man and the pig-dogs sleeping so peacefully. They twitch and turn sometimes, so they must be having some dreams too. Hope they are nice ones.

I have always wondered if dogs do dream, and what they dream about, if at all. Are they always swimming at the beach? Are they always feasting on huge bowls of home-cooked salmon-with-rice? Or are they happily chewing at the box of 'bak kwa' that tempts them so? Are they always on their leashes running around some big grassy field? Or are they running loose, chasing after cats and dogs? Am I, Mommy, always in their dreams? Do they dream of me? Papa?

Dogs are lucky creatures. They have few pleasures in life, and they don't yearn for anything more than that. They are just satisfied. I like to think that I'm one of Piper's biggest pleasure in life. Yes, just me. Just the mere presence of me, and me hanging out by her side. Of course, me rubbing her belly and ruffling her ears and chin would add even greater pleasure, but that's just a bonus.

Having a dog doesn't make you seem larger than life, or bigger than the Almighty. It humbles you, and makes you see the simple pleasures one should get out of life, whatever it might be.

I try to follow that principle in life, but more often than not, it fails me. Is it too much I want? Or is it just something I can never get?

The stupid neck sprain is giving me a weird ache in the head now as well. Fiak.

No comments: