Saturday, May 28, 2005

The Museum of Flight

Just to prove I have been to the Museum of Flight.


Museum of Flight, South Seattle.

The Red Barn, birthplace of the Boeing Company in 1916, now restored at the Museum. Unfortunately, it was closed today. Shucks.

Entrance to the Museum. I think it's a school vacation because there were loads of kids running around.

Nice head. Can't remember who this dude is.

There are planes dangling all over from the rooftop of the museum. I just think they ran out of display space.

The dudes in here are pretty cool too. This is one of the displays hanging at the entrance/lobby area.

The world's first powered airplane in 1903 - a Wright invention. I now understand the movie The Flight of The Phoenix. Haha

A plane in every garage - the Taylor Aerocar made in 1968. So hippy.

The X-Jet made in 1974. It can move in any direction, accelerate rapidly, hover and rotate on its axis. Oh, how wonderful.

I have no idea what this is, but it looks like a airborne gym bike to me.

The Lockheed Blackbird made in 1963, still the fastest and highest flying air-breathing production aircraft every built.

This is the nose section (cockpit) of an SR-71 Blackbird (world's fastest jet) that suffered a spectacular crash in 1968, now restored and exhibited.

Simulators! One ride costs US$5, so I skipped it.

The Curtiss Robin flew for 653 continuous hours - almost a month in the air. Fuel was delivered from another Robin via a hose while mail, food and spare parts came in a supply bag on the end of a rope!

Piper J-3 Cub, 1937. I don't really care what it is, as long as my baby owns this plane.

The Hornet. The two ramjets (engines) are mounted on the tips of its rotor blades.

I practised my basic flying.

Yawing left...

... and right.

LRV - Lunar Roving Vehicle, a land rover on the Moon. And it has a US$8 million price tag. COE excluded.

There was also a air control tower, where flights were simulated and you can actually hear all the conversations that take place between pilots and the controllers.

The Warhawk, "Flying Tiger", used by the Chinese in WWII.

The Curtiss Jenny, most famous plane used by the Americans during the First World War.

There are plenty more other planes, but which might just bore you out of your mind. Now, you have to pay me half my entrance fee.

No comments: