Thursday, May 12, 2005

Going Home

On my way home. Standing and typing at one of those internet terminals. It's weird to note that the other travellers I meet at these terminals are usually Indians.

Didn't go to the Cavern last night. Decided I had enough of Heineken and singing Filipinoes. Settled for coffee at Starbucks instead. There is only one Starbucks I always go to in Tsimshatsui, since it's right between the hotel and the office. So I went there last night, a lone cafe open in the middle of the ghostly office buildings. There was peace, at least.

Had dinner with a friend who works in the Hong Kong office right now. She's from my hometown but has nicely settled in Hong Kong since 14 months ago. Though she hardly speaks anything more than basic conversational Cantonese. As she says, "The most important thing to me is food. As long as I can converse well enough to order my food, I'm fine." How true.

Had a nice Italian dinner, set in a very romantic ambience. Small place, though, and she said we're lucky to have gotten a table that night. Great pasta, nice wine, and even better conversation, bitching about folks we know in the office and about our future.

I thought I had a nice enough evening before I was to leave. And anyway, I had to go back to the hotel to work on some stuff. Bugger.

Hong Kong is nice. So-so food. Good shopping, though not great to me as others would probably find it. I couldn't bear to pay for cheap imported Korean tees. And there are A LOT of tee shirts selling in the markets and malls of Kowloon. A-tas? Maybe but I'd rather pay for better quality stuff. Hong Kong folks are by far, next to the Japanese, the most well-dressed people I've seen. Nobody walks around in slippers or sandals, despite the weather.

Given that, however, I might re-consider ever re-locating to Hong Kong. If I were ever given such an opportunity. Like I told my friend, it's like so closely familiar to home, but I'm not home. This would make me miss home even more.

If I ever were to go away, trust me, I would go somewhere far far away. If I wanted to move away from home, I would make sure I am far away from home.

Ok, time to head for the gate and board my flight. Leaving Hong Kong in half an hour's time. I'm glad I found this terminal. It takes away my hunger and my dilemma in whether to search for food or not. I'll just gladly settle for paid-for airplane food.


Somehow, I'm dreading going home today.

No comments: