Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tongued

So the love affair continues.

With nihon ryōri, of course. But silly me, I was feeling so delirious over dinner (or, was it supper?), probably thanks in part to the sake (the wine, not the fish), I forgot to whip out my well-loved camera-phone. Next time, confirm - promise.

And abundance there was last night.

From the toro, to the tempura, to the saba, to the gyutan, to the shabu-shabu.

We ate like we never tasted food that good before. We ate like we had a bottomless pit in us.

We ate like it was our last supper.

If good food makes me happy, stumbling unexpectedly into good food makes me high.


So I fell asleep on the couch, and woke too early this morning.

The lids are heavy, the mind's groggy, but at least the sake put me to deep, undisturbed sleep, so the body's strangely alive. The hobble is almost gone. It has to go, before Saturday, at least.

I had some thoughts that went into slumber with me. And then I had a really weird dream, and come to think about it, now I remember what jolted me awake at half-past-six.

Standing in the hot shower fifteen minutes later, I stopped thinking about the weird dream, but I went back to the thoughts that had gone to bed (or, couch) with me. And I just stood right there for another fifteen.

Then I stepped out, checked myself in the mirror again, and the rosy cheeks were still there. Right beneath the puffy eyebags.

And then, I decided.

Nothing will take anything away from me.

No one will ever take anything away from me. Ever again.


There are many ways I can make myself happy, I learn. There are many things I can do.

Like, for instance, playing dress-up.

Sounds stupid, but hey, it works. Like it did today. After a couple of mixing and matching, I unwittingly found myself in the 'Oliver Twist' theme today.

Very, very cool.


Someone special's in town to see me tonight.

Okay, that's make-believe.

He's not exactly that special (yes, don't pout, you are not). He's not in town to see me.

Still, I am seeing him, and it is making me excited.


P.S.: And in the morning after, I am still not quite sure about the gyutan. I mean, while undoubtedly yummsy, it is still a tongue. I like eating tongues, but not this way.

No comments: