Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Dai-juu-bu

So I have spent almost thirty-six hours in the land of Muji, and trust me, that was the very first store I popped into in Harajuku.

I thought I would've been thrilled to death. I mean, I am still so in love with this city, I can't stop thanking my lucky stars for bringing me back here again. But for some reason, here I am sitting in front of the keyboard, looking through the few pictures I have only managed to capture, and I just can't find the words to describe how I really feel.

I must be really tired. Really, really tired.

So I will simply jot here in my journal with the few mere words I can conjure up.


I love Tokyo. I love Japan. I still haven't been to Hokkaido, or Kyoto, or anywhere else but I know I will love them all.

My memories of the city from my last and only trip that took place three years ago haven't failed me. I recognize the streets. I remember some shops (like where Muji is located). I still know where that ramen shop is, the one who purportedly sells one of the best ramens in town. I still get appalled at the price of a tee shirt. I even know my way around, though ironically, I got lost and spent two hours getting to my favorite place, Daikanyama.

It took me three or four regular trips to Bangkok before I would recall places.

hweech 018hweech 028hweech 020

Ok, I got lost yesterday too. After taking almost three hours to reach Shinjuku after jumping off the plane, I spent more than an hour, trying to walk toward my cheap 6,700-yen hotel, lugging the luggage with one hand, juggling three lousy maps with the other. It took a friendly local babe the last half hour to search for the bloody cheap hotel with me. And then, I found out the hotel was really just five minutes from the subway. I just didn't know. Because the stupid hotel web site never gave the damned directions.

I have never spent five hours getting settled into a hotel.

But I actually liked the cheap 6,700-yen hotel. Maybe because it's a Japanese budget hotel. I love anything Japanese. Despite the size, it was clean, cosy and actually comfortable - and it has silent air-conditioning. But the bathroom impressed me the most - it even has that butt-washer on the toilet. Ironic as it might sound, perhaps you might find the best cheap hotels in Japan.

But the greatest satisfaction from the 6,700-yen hotel came when I realized I had unintentionally found a cheap place just ten minutes away from the Hilton, where I moved to today. I can't believe I'm this smart.

hweech 001hweech 004

I am on a eating spree, I have decided.

Whether I am hungry or not, I am going to eat every three or four hours while I am here. I did a quick calculation, I don't have enough time to finish everything I want to ravage.

One of the best places in Tokyo are those food streets at the basement of the departmental stores. I spend half an hour circling the stalls, wondering if I should or should not, and then I buy take-out, when I really have no reason to. Except maybe I might get hungry working in the room tonight.

The salad bars are the most amazing.

I need to try a Freshness burger.

And I did whale last night. I really shouldn't have. But I did.

hweech 009

I can't believe this.

I can't find a single fucking Taiwanese channel or program in the Honks, or even in Shanghai.

And I am watching a crappy Taiwanese drama in the room now.


I think I am really tired.

No comments: