Monday, September 10, 2007

Escapade

I still can't stop gushing about Ni-hon. I can't stop fantasizing about it.

I think the addiction has turned into obsession.

On my very last night of my stay, I popped into Tokyu Hands and bought myself two 'Made In Japan' lunchboxes. Yes, when you're obsessed with all things Japanese, you tend to turn very atas as well. It's got to be nothing less than being 'Made In Japan'.

On my very first day back in town, I popped into Apita, the Japanese supermarket very sweetly located at my office, and bought tons and tons of groceries. Soba, tofu, mushrooms, soba sauce, Japanese "all-purpose seasoning sauce". And of course, two bottles of sake.

Yes, if you'd put one and one together, you do notice I have grand plans to pack lunch to work. Japanese no less.

Let's see if I'm kidding myself.


My cheap 6,700-yen hotel was located right in the midst of a quiet residential area in Shinjuku, which probably explained why I got lost, and why most of the locals I sought help from along the way got lost themselves.

The first night I took a walk through the residential area, past all the quaint townhouses, on my way to the subway station, my goosebumps popped up and I almost teared.

That was how much I love that place.

I see myself in one of those quaint little townhouses. With a red scooter parked right outside.


Maybe it's just another form of running away. Running away to a land so foreign your soul feels reborn.

It's just one of those rare moments. You feel like you're suddenly transported to a world so different, all that mattered matters no more.

I probably will never get to run away to an island and sell coconut juice by the beach.

This is probably a sweet alternative.


So there are two things I need to start on right now.

I need to learn Ni-hon-go.

And I need to learn how to ride a bike.

hweech 007

No comments: