Thursday, March 31, 2005

Sneaky Kick

Testing. Testing one, two, three.

Thanks to Ms Tan's ingenious advice, I'm right now pretending to be drafting some all-important email at my messy work-desk when I'm actually posting this entry via email. I'm getting a kick from being so sneaky. I think I love being 'bad'. I think also I love technology; it has indeed been wonderous in making my life so much easier, though not necessarily simpler.

Of all technological advances that have played some part in my life, I am most grateful for the Internet. And the greatest Web tool ever invented, in my honest opinion, is internet banking. Ask the man; I've never stopped raving about the wonders of internet banking. It has taken away the pains of queueing up (you don't really want to stand next to me in queues) and the inconvenience of having to write/send checks. I can check if my pay has been credited into my account at 4 in the morning, if I want to. I can pay off my bills at midnight, if I want to. I don't worry about having forgotten my due dates because everything is instantaneous. I lend, repay, receive money easily by clicking this button called 'funds transfer'. Best of all, I give to and take from the man anytime I need to. Sometimes winnings from mahjong games are received this way as well. How swell is this?


(Oh, cash deposit machines are another good invention though sometimes I still have to queue because some folks do hog the machine - I wonder how many accounts they have opened with that bank.)

Instant messaging is yet another sweet weapon that I use frequently. Ok, I admit, I don't really use this for much useful purpose - I really use it to create 'annoyances' to friends by sending them crappy and nonsensical messages. But I believe those messages make their day, and I achieve the objective of always 'keeping in touch' with friends, close or distant. Better yet, I can even talk real-time to friends and cousins from all over the world for free. Beat that.

And then, this. It saves my ass from being kicked by the boss, and I can still relieve the boredom of work and work my mental juices by continuing to journal. I am really liking this.

Techie stuff are the ones that make my life less simple, at least in a material sense. I was just commenting to the man the other night, that we've been unconsciously adding to our inventory of techie products - first, the Canon digi-cam; then the PDAs; then he got his Toshiba lappie; next came the 3G cells; and the most recent acquisition: my MacMac. And now, I'm keep thinking of my (future) video-cam.

Pure luxuries or necessary evils? I don't know anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love giro much much more!