Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Achy breaky thighs

Oh! How my lightning thighs ache! So much for not keeping to a strict running regime.

Two nights after my gungho run-up-the-slope, my poor thighs are still feeling sore. No, in fact, my thighs weren't as sore yesterday, strangely. They became more achy today, and every step I take down the stairs, or even down any slightest slope gives me untolerable pain. I walked so awkwardly today I invited so much unwanted stares.

Was planning to run today actually, but with my thighs still in un-working condition, I decided against the swell idea. I have to 'save' them for my basketball training tomorrow instead.

The running's still gotta start soon though. All for pride's sake. I raised a challenge today with Ed, my officemate-cum-drinkbuddy-cum-housingadvisor, who by the way seems quite pleased he has been permanently exempted from IPPT, for God-knows-what-reason.

To say Ed loves drinking (beer, no less) is an understatement. This man downed 15 shots of pure alcohol in 2 hours, and was still standing after that. What kind of a monster is that? While we normal human beings fill up drinking water in waterbottles or used mineral water bottles, he fills up his drinking water in used beer bottles, much to the chagrin of his wifey, because he likes drinking his beer-flavored water. He says his fridge is full of beer bottles, but half of them really contains 'drinking water'. I pity his wifey.

So because I was flabbergasted with his exemption from IPPT for the rest of his life, I taunted and challenged him to a 2.4 km race. Of course I boasted I could do my 2.4 in sub-10 seconds, just to bruise his ego. But that failed. He was almost going to give up the race and resign to the eventual fate that he would lose to me anyway, no matter how much he was going to train for it.

So, we kinda changed the format of the 'race' - I'll run the 2.4 km, and, at the same time, he'll down 5 jugs of beer. And the one who finishes first is the winner. This got him interested.

Now I feel so dumb.

No comments: