Monday, March 28, 2005

Heineken on the Beach

Hmm. I'm pretty impressed with myself for having done pretty much yesterday.

1) I did pop by the library for indeed a quick look - because the library was still closed.

2) I did bring the girls to the beach and they did swim in the blue blue waters of Sentosa (yes, much to my own surprise, Sentosa waters has turned much cleaner and bluer of late). And in my one-hour at the beach, I did manage to catch a 'quick' tan - my shoulders are burning with ache now.

3) Ok, I didn't send Mac for a fix-up. I've decided I'll fix that on my own (maybe with the man's help).

4) I watched the game and I spied for the man. Sad game that his team lost.

Even picked the man up from work at night and we returned to watch the other game. I did so much and I was so dead beat.

But what I really wanted to say was I really enjoyed my time at the beach; or for that matter, give me any beach (er, but it's gotta be really clean sand and blue waters and bluer skies) and I'll be in total bliss. I must really say Sentosa is quite beautiful now. Quiet. Peaceful. Dog-friendly, or at least I think. I could find a quiet spot where I could let my two crazy girls run free... but then they run away so fast, it's kinda harder for me to catch them.

Piper is a natural swimmer now. Okay, fine. All dogs are born swimmers, but I learn not all dogs would want to jump into pools of water and lap around, if they can help it. Not like Mac and Sam; they are retrievers, mind you. Piper would never step into the water, no matter the amount of goading from us. We used to have to carry her (after chasing her down around the beach... man, that bitch can really run) into the water and dump her in, and she would frantically paddle her way back to safety on shore. After every such try, she would run away even faster from us as if she knew what we were up to. Man, I really love that smart bitch.

I remember the day she first jumped into the water by herself. She didn't swim though. Her friends Mac and Sam were out swimming for their toy, and she couldn't stand being left behind. So she trodded out to the waters, knee-deep (yes, if you can imagine where dogs' knees are), wanting to go after but fearing a little.

Then, I remember the day she first jumped into the water by herself, and swam! The only regretful thing is that the man wasn't around then to see it for himself. When I speak of this, I sound like as if a father has missed the first time his kid takes his/her first baby steps. Yeah, it's that cool.

Now, Piper swims by herself, but usually because I'm already in the waters and she wants to join me. She is the cutest swimmer ever. Her four short legs paddle swiftly underwater, while her head bobs along the surface, eyes wide as if she needs to swim to safety as quick as possible. But it's the tail. The short little appendage at the end of her body that wags like a quick pendulum, left-right-left-right, that amuses me most. I call her my 'little propeller'.

Gracie, on the other hand, has not the swimming style as her name implies. In a very cute way, she is like the most ungraceful dog swimmer I've ever seen. When she swims, her two front legs paddle so furiously you can actually see them above water, while her two hind legs drag from the bottom. I even think she swims almost 'vertically'. When we brought her on her first outing to the beach, she wouldn't jump into the water too. She still doesn't want to swim now, but she's beginning to trod knee-deep into the waters, wanting to join me but not really daring to. One fine day, her day would come. Just like her big sister.



I can tell they were very happy at the beach today as well. On days like this, they make me laugh and they remind me how simple things in life (like spending one short hour at the beach with your mommy) can satisfy one.

There's something else different about Sentosa as well (probably a whole lot more but I haven't explored yet); there's a new beach pub right where I usually hang out. I couldn't help but sit down and have an ice-cold beer right under the hot sun, just before I left. I mean, that's where ice-cold beers should be enjoyed, isn't it?



I'm going to tell the man about this. I can imagine the two of us, near-naked bodies, with the two girls at our feet, tasting our ice-cold beers and maybe some chips, in our cool eye-shades. Just doing nothing.

No comments: