Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Home

The air at home just smells... less humid and musty. And less mushroomy.

Not much of a diff.


So I realize. I love home, and I miss home, but only bits of it.

And I realize, I can't wait to get back to my new home.

S-C-A-A-A-R-R-Y.

In the meantime, till I get my ass back, I am going to devour all the yong tau foo, and mee pok ta, and zhay bee hoon, and hei mee, and of course, kopi-o.


*****

"Monkey, gorilla, chimp-pan-zee... Monkey, gorilla, chimp-pan-zee..."

I have been singing this to Donald for the longest time, but he has just been refusing to learn it.

But today, as I was hugging my little man as I carried him to the carpark, he started singing on his own.

"Monkey, gorilla, chimp-pan-zee... Monkey, gorilla, chimp-pan-zee..."

Who's monkey?

"Me!"

Who's gorilla?

"Percy Gu-gu!"

...

I couldn't even be bothered to find out who chimpanzee is.

*****

I can't quite believe that I've been Dragonflied on my first night home.

And I can't quite believe too that the first person I met up with on my first day back home was the one I was "not supposed" to meet in the first place.

What an irony.

*****

Friend introduces me to a girlfriend.

Girlfriend whispers (rather indiscreetly) to friend: "Is your friend local?"

I jump in and chirp: "Mmm hai er. Ngo hai heong kong yan."

*****

There's this very strange sense of comfort and familiarity that has been lingering since the moment I landed.

No, not the comfort and familiarity of being at home where my life had been.

But the comfort and familiarity of how some things had been.

And perhaps, that's how things should have stayed.

No comments: