Saturday, July 28, 2007

Move

It's only Saturday, but it feels like donkey years since I last journalled. I really hate the idea of not being connected to the world wide web, that vast vulnerable place without which I feel strangely lonely.

Which explains why I am sitting here at the cafe having a late dinner, after a lazy housewifey Saturday.

This is the third dish I've tried so far, and it still pleases me. I can't wait to try the rest. She says I should try the salmon.

I realize, to some degree of horror, that my food expenses have more than tripled. Not that I can help it. Maybe I should just cut down on the number of meals. =/


Much has happened this week. My life just doesn't seem to cease being eventful.

And I am not complaining.


Let's start with the bad.

I got nicked. And I wasn't even in Mongkok.

There goes all my cards, credit and bank. And there goes the green spade.

I didn't lose no money - thankfully. But queueing up at the bank to draw a wad of cash every other day is not exactly the most fun thing to do.

The only good thing I can conjure up out of this entire experience is that living without credit cards is such a liberating feeling.

Oh, and I got some free sake out of it too. Awesome.


And then, finally, there's the little Fatmama pad, spacious enough to put her in comfort.

It's a quirky little old walk-up, right at the end of a commercial street, rather void of human traffic in the day but eerily quiet in the night.

Before you would pooh-pooh at my dingy apartment, I'd like to have you know that it comes with a gym. But there is only one piece of equipment: the Stairmaster. Free for all to use. Climb as high as you like. Drunk or not.

The Fatpad came furnished to the finest detail - I even got a free wine rack. I think it was meant to be.

But things started breaking down, and then I realized what they really mean when they say, cheap stuff can also look good. Much of my afternoon today was spent idling on the couch, flipping amongst the four channels I have on TV - it was so darn hard to make a choice - while the contractor dude fumbled around with the leaking pipes and malfunctioning rain shower.

I finally got to clean up the place too. For the past three days, I hated having blackened feet after walking around the house. So I got the drying rack fixed up so I could finally do the laundry. No more tumble-drying.

Then I got down on my fours to clean the floor. I am so thankful I wasn't greedy for a 'bigger' place.

I am quite anal when it comes to my house. I've just got to have the good stuff, if not the best. I tossed the sheets out and crashed on the couch on the first night, and then went on to spend a bomb the next day on new bedlinen, down quilt and all. And I slept like a baby on the second night.

There are still some stuff to get to fill up the house. Shoe racks, though I still can't quite figure how many would suffice. I've got the cutlery but I have no bowls or plates. I can't really cook in the open kitchen but I'd still like to have a tiny stove to poach some eggs and boil some pasta. I am eyeing that electric hot pot so I can have free flow of green tea without having to reboil again and again. I don't even have a decent thrash bin so I just make do with a floating plastic bag on the kitchen counter now. I think I need a wall clock because I have been jumping out of bed wondering if I had overslept again. The refridgerator needs some serious stocking up.

And even if it's not quite necessary, I'd like to have a tiny table for two. I'd never know. : )

A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. And I think the Fatpad's good to go.


It's half-past-ten.

Time flies while I'm sitting here. I really need to wire up the Fatpad soon.

I think I might try the eggs tomorrow. Or the salmon.

No comments: