Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Men versus Women

Ah. One of the better snoozes I've had since I arrived.

I crashed right into bed and six hours straight without a jolt out of sleep. Still, too late to catch a run. That should be tomorow then.

Yes, yes. First thing I did on Monday was to get meself new running shoes. And shorts. And a top. That should suffice for now.


I woke up to an equally bright, fogless morning. Not absolutely clear, but the skies don't seem that fogged up today. Pretty much mirroring the state of mind I woke up with. Sweet.

Until I stepped out of the room to grab a coffee, only to see a note stuck on my neighbor's door, signed off by the room service waiter as...

@*&%^!&^%!!!!!


Anyhoos. It was rather strange as I got to do some thinking while in the bathroom this morning. I was that awake.

I thought about where I am now. And I thought about where I'd really like to eventually be this time round. If I were to really stick around in this game for real this time, there's only one way for me - and that is 'up'.

So I looked at the possibilities. The realities. And then the people who've made it 'up' there.

There are men, and of course these days, there are women up there. I thought about the ones I know of. Men bosses, women bosses. And I recognized what I'd only, up till now, read in magazine articles. A strange, but seemingly real pattern of the corporate shithole.

Men bosses are usually married. I haven't seen one that isn't yet. Career myth: Men who are married portray an image of stability and therefore trust in a high-level position.

Women bosses are sometimes not married. In fact, I note that there are more unmarried women bosses than the married ones. Career myth: Women who are married would naturally tend to split time more equally (or, unequally sometimes) between work and family, and worse, sometimes they take a long time away from work to make babies. On the other hand, unmarried ones usually stay that way even at a certain age and therefore make better, harder-working, more 'lifeless' slaves at work.

Myth or not, I actually can't be sure of now.

But I shudder.

So this is how it really is. Men get married to get promoted. Women get promoted and stay unmarried.

I shudder.

No comments: