Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cliffhanger

I crossed over to the 'other' side.

The other side where I thought might have greener pastures, but I didn't really search because all I really wanted was just to get over there and bask in the greenery to mend my wretched soul.

"Come back over," they had cooed as they sent me off. "Come back when you're healed."

I smiled, shook hands, turned my back, and crossed the bridge over to the other side.

Five good months of lying on the grass, staring up at the blue skies, daydreaming about life and possibilities later, I got up, stretched myself, and decided I needed something more. Something more real in this world. It was time for me to go in search of that something.

More importantly, maybe as pompous as it may sound, I am needed somewhere in this world. I have to find out, I told myself.

"Hey!"

Just as I had gotten up and fluffed the bits of grass off my pretty brown skirt, someone yelled after me.

I turned around, and saw someone waving at me. Someone from that side across the bridge where I had come from five months ago.

I smiled and waved back.

"Hey! You're up, finally! Come back. We want you back here!"

Should I? Shouldn't I?

I would love to. I missed that place across the bridge. Not much greenery, but there were indeed human beings over there I loved anyway. Human beings whom I had seen cross the bridge to and fro in all of my six years there, but also remained in my heart wherever they might be.

But then, I hadn't really done what I had set out to do. I turned my head away from the bridge, and looked ahead.

What might life really look like out there...

"Come! Come back. We have a lot of good things for you back here. We miss you, and we need you!"

And then it hit me like a bullet train. The love I had for that place hit me in the head and rushed through all my blood veins.

Groggily, I turned and started my way toward the bridge.

One... two... three... then a little pause... then I continued making my careful steps up the long shaky bridge. In no time, my steps quickened with confidence, and there I was, halfway across the bridge.

"Wait a minute! Stop right there! Someone set the bridge on fire! Hang on right there, I'll get you!"

Hang on right there?

Oopsy. Did someone actually notice the fire has broken the bridge into two, and that my life is now hanging on one dangling end?

Someone send a 'copter. Hurry.


So you see.

Stop telling me to "be careful about burning any bridge". They offered me to use the bridge first, then fuckin' burnt it.

There is no more bridge.

If you still want me, send a bloody 'copter.

The wait is killing me.

No comments: