Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sad Abode

The tiny, humble abode that I used to adore is finally starting to make me think twice.

In fact, I'm starting to get really upset. Despite my darnedest efforts not to.


Firstly, it is severely lacking in my favorite sunshine. The solar-powered Energizer bunny here can't function soberly in the dark - especially on a Sunday morning. How stupid is it to have to switch on all the lights in broad daylight - even with the blinds drawn?

There are no windows. Which could be a blessing in disguise really, since I don't expect any fresh-smelling air to waft right in any time of the day/week/month. But how dumb is it again to have to turn the air-con on and off throughout the day/night just so I wouldn't suffocate and die in this lonely little corner of the world? And I have another mind-boggling one: if I have no 'open-able' windows, where the heck does all this stupid dust come from?

There is no kitchen. But I will not harp on this fact until I prove myself some decent cook. But it's a chicken-or-egg thing, isn't it?

There is no elevator in this rather locally-noisy building. And I have absolutely no qualms about it, given my weird penchant for climbing the staircase - any staircase, on any given normal day. Even in wee hours when I am pissed drunk, and have no idea how I conquer that stairmaster without suffering any cut or bruises on my limbs. But on abnormal days, when I have to get out of town, I absolutely abhor having to first get my luggage out of the apartment and out of the building. The second thing I always think of just as I'm about to board the plane on the way home is "Aahh... home sweet home." The first? "Damn that stupid staircase."

And my life happens to be getting more and more abnormal.

And then, there are all these broken things.

First, there was the stupid heater. Then, the burst shower. The toilet bowl and the bathroom basin take turns to flood. In fact, the basin's taking the lead now. The light bulbs are popping out one by one. The ironing board lasted me barely even a month - and it is NOT because of my obsessive compulsive ironing behavior. The wardrobe knob keeps falling out once in a while, but okay I shouldn't whine about this tiny one. And of course, there was the infamous broken couch that traumatized me for weeks.

I think the last straw snapped for me tonight when I discovered both the pipes under the kitchen sink and the bathroom basin have been freakin' leaking.

I chucked a bucket under the kitchen sink, and I have decided to simply leave it there till the day I move out.


I am thinking, I need to move.

To a new apartment with windows and a kitchen, and at least an elevator.

Or, maybe just out to a whole new place altogether.

Wherever fate lies.

IMG_2255

No comments: