Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mom

No, I didn't forget about Mother's Day.

In fact, I remembered Mother's Day. I remembered to call Mom on Mother's Day. I remembered not to be a smart aleck and try to go for a nice dinner out there somewhere on Mother's Day. I remembered to stay home and wait till nine when Mom got home from dinner so I could ring her.

And that was how I ended up weeping by myself, home alone, on Mother's Day.


It wasn't all that bad as it sounds. Really. Just a couple of "nevers" I've learnt for myself.

One: Never start a movie marathon with a doggie movie. It just wrecks you up emotionally and sets the whole mood wrong.

Two: Never ever watch a doggie movie when you're already missing your own babies like crazy. Even watching another dog, who's really just being a darn good actor, is enough to make you go wild with crazy thoughts and end up sleepless and wake up with eyes so puffed up, they are almost popping out and your head throbs nonstop from trying to hold them back in the sockets.

In short, this is way worse than suffering a hangover.


I was so caught up in my own pseudo-misery, I almost forgot to call Mom.

I did, in the end, just an hour before the clock struck midnight. And I would've loved chatting with her till the next day, but I had to go the minute she asked, "Mei ah, got boyfriend already?"

...

I love you, Mom. I don't have a present for you this year... but NAH!

P1010956


I can't exactly say, I don't know when I'll ever get to be that mom I've always wanted to be - I already have two furry girls I love to bits and who I know adore me like crazy as well. And you can never ask for more than a dog's love.

I feel blessed. But I suppose I'll never feel the same blessedness from the love and adoration of another human being.

To my dear babes who are mothers, keep it going strong. You're probably one of the luckiest amongst us all. Don't feel like you're already old, don't envy people like me who seem to be still having the time of our lives, 'cos maybe we're not. You're way cooler, and you're more beautiful.

To my dear babes who have just become new mothers, you've done well this far! Maybe I could never have imagined you being a mom, maybe I just knew this day would just come to you since the day I met you... I am so delirious for you, I can only feel plain happiness that my dear friend, you, has been blessed with the most beautiful gift in life - life itself.

To my dear babes who are awaiting for the new arrivals, you might be really grouchy now, you might be glowing with rosy cheeks, you might be barfing from the smells of your coworker's lunchbox, you might be praying hard for the day you finally offload the extra weight, you might be worrying about this, about that, about everything, or you might just be having the best ride of your life now... live it all up! Every road leads to a beautiful destination, every story in life has its own meaning. Every life on this earth has its own purpose. Just let Auntie Fatmama know when you're popping. And oh, the gender of your little one so you can expect a baby Gap hamper. : )

To my dear babes who have only just gotten hitched... DON'T WAIT ALREADY! Wait for what?! Wait for Auntie Fatmama to come back home and take angpow money from you first, is it?!

To the dear mother who gave life to my little man, and now my little princess, thank you very much for bringing such joy to my life. Thank you for being a happy mother, because happiness begets happiness. Thank you for coming into our lives, thank you for taking care of Mom when I'm not around. I will love the little ones like they were my own, to the day I cease to live.

To my dearest Mom, thank you for passing me your shirt-ironing skills, thank you for giving me your silly sense of humor that has helped me make a lot of people laugh. Thank you for giving me your heart, a heart that lives and cares only for others. Thank you for letting me be ME.

Be strong. Be healthy. Be happy. You always see me every night.

P1010231


p.s.: I'm sorry, Mrs Ding, I stole your flowers for my Mom! : )

No comments: