Saturday, October 27, 2007

Two-Course

Because it's my first, and probably only, meal of the day, and because I played so much, so hard at basketball today (my team did well, we thrashed two teams in a row and then another three, so I must've played for an hour straight at least), I decide I deserve a two-course dinner tonight. Even though my body was begging for a rest on the couch.

With whatever I still have left in the refridgerator, I whip up an appetizer of fresh greens and mushrooms, stir-fried Momma's way.

IMG_2907

I start on the appetizer as it is served, so, like a true chef, I can start cooking my main course and then eat it fresh and hot.

It is indeed a simple dish. Olive oil, garlic, assorted mushrooms, a little bit of the water in which the shitakes were soaked, a dash of salt and hua tiao wine, basil and freshly ground black pepper.

And I am in heaven.

I am not a great cook. You just can never go wrong with pasta done the aglio olio way.

IMG_2910

I am done cleaning up the pseudo-kitchenette. And also done cleaning myself up. Like I said to Pi, "I just came back from bball also... so chao chao and oily oily."

I am sitting on the couch, powerbook on my lap, feet propped up on the coffee table, being very careful not to kick my glass of Rioja.

My Devils have just beaten the crap out of the Mee Rebus. My mind's partially wandering off, thinking if I can find squid ink in City Super.

I should just chill at home, but the boys are beckoning from somewhere noisy out there.


I love cooking. But I hate the permanent smell of garlic that seems to have been infused into my fingers ever since. And I am keeping count of the number of fresh cuts on my disfiguring hands.

Life. It's never fair, is it?

No comments: