Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Monday Night

I finally made the call today. I signed up for my first real Pilates class. A three-session beginner's course, one-on-one instruction. Not some cheesy class at the gym, not a "side dish" offering at some yoga center. But an authentic Pilates-only center, complete with the reformer machines and all.

Somewhat impulsive, but not quite, since I had already been doodling on this for months. I need those long, lean muscles desperately.

And I actually got a booking for the same evening. Sweet. Everything's falling into the plan. I would rush home and then to the Pilates class. Get some ingredients on the way home (which explains the mushrooms). Cook myself dinner, and save some for lunch tomorrow. Wash the bedsheets. Iron some clothes. Watch a couple of dvds. Then write.

For once, I was being so decisive, and for a Monday night too. What a way to kick off the week.


I am not so much enjoying the first lesson. I actually got started on the reformer, not the mat. But my muscles are so screwed up, I felt more pain than relief. By the end of the sixty minutes, I was walking on wobbly sticks. Okay, not quite sticks, more like stubs.

But you know me, if you know me. There must be more to come for me. One fine day, I will raise my legs with my knees straightened, up to a forty-five degree, with my abs holding my head and neck up - and not shake one bit.

Till then, I still want to go for more lessons because my instructor Jerry is rather yummy-looking. And he keeps saying I'm doing well, he's going to increase the intensity for me the next time (ooOOooh, I like the sound of that already). And he plays basketball too.

I never knew you could sweat so much in a Pilates class.


But so much for a well-planned Monday night. The rest of it never quite got executed because my brother rung me up for dinner. And I never say 'no' to my brother.

I forgot about my disgust at my own abs just about an hour ago, and instead quickly filled it up rather well with a bowl of beef soup and some Vietnamese chicken salad.

Three gin-and-tonics later, I set myself up for another class this week. A Bollywood-dance class, though.

And because it comes for free, I need to learn the moves by myself beforehand. With nothing but the help of a dvd.

"Devis: REMIX". I can't wait to pop it into the player tomorrow night.

Photo0388

No comments: