Monday, October 22, 2007

"Almost Orgasmic"

It all started with an innocent question.

Me: So tell me, during those few days you were back home, what did you have for your meals?
Madboy: OH... You don't wanna know.
Me: Say lah.
Madboy: Lontong for breakfast. Nasi padang, mee siam, fried chicken, nasi goreng, sambal sotong...

I went deaf, and into a subconscious frenzy from there.


The next day, I received a dinner invitation for Saturday night.

A sweet young couple from Singers as well, whom I got to know through Madboy, asked if I would like to have dinner at their place. And I never ever turn down a house dinner invitation. Because I know I would be so crushed if I were the host and someone said, "No, I don't want to come to your place for dinner."

I was an awful guest, though. Dinner was half-past-seven. But by the time I crawled home from the courts, picked up a bottle of wine on the way, rested my aching legs, took a shower, dried my hair and finally found the energy to climb onto a cab, it was already ten when I rang the doorbell.

It was a small party. The hosting couple, another Singaporean-Swiss couple and then Madboy. I was pleasantly surprised to find a very DINK-ily yet cosily designed apartment, though perched just one level above the roaring traffic along Caine Road. I was even more surprised to find out the couple had actually bought the apartment. The kitchen was built outside at the balcony - a very thoughtful design for a small apartment. And the balcony was also where we sat around a huge dining table, enjoying the reds and homemade mohitos and fags, the cool night breeze and the revving engines of the buses below us.

The iPod provided the in-house trance for the night. Madboy and gang provided the intellectual company for the night - mostly about ghosts and movies.

But it was the food.

The home-cooked food that remained in my mind after I left the apartment, and even while I was watching the rugby game in a boisterous pub.

Curry chicken. Beef rendang. Sambal goreng (with tempeh, sweet potatoes and okra!). Dhal.

Being the last guest to arrive, I'd like to think I did the couple a favor by finishing up most of the food, and sparing them from any leftovers.


So I woke up today with only one die-die-must-do mission in mind.

The target? That Malaysian eatery, just five minutes away, someone told me was rather authentic and actually pretty good.

Well, that someone sure wasn't lying.

Photo0386

No comments: