Monday, April 11, 2005

Dogs Are Like Old Ladies

Hmm. The weekend slipped away too fast for me to really take a deep breath and enjoy it. Good or bad, I don't know. But I do know I hadn't had time to laze on my bed and gather some thoughts. Sometimes I just miss that.

I did meet up Miss Tan, and another good friend MisSin, for dinner/supper/whatever on Friday night, and I was so tired from being hungry, I was knocked out the minute I slumped onto my bed.

I had semi-big plans to bring the girls for a swim and then wash my car on Saturday morning, but that didn't happen, and I jumped out from bed barely in time to pick the man up from work at noon. But what happened to the rest of my Saturday was more amazing. I actually spent almost the entire day, together with a whole lot of other girls who are probably only slightly more than half my age, at some basketball 'carnival'. Yes, a carnival that would last the entire afternoon and end past nine in the night. So, we were supposed to be playing a whole tournament in that one day, and we actually lasted to the end, bringing home the champion trophies.

But the results were not the point. The point was, 'old folks' like me don't belong to such 'carnivals' no more. These whole-day events are meant for little girls, who have the time and energy to spend one whole day doing nothing but playing basketball. We older women cannot afford to spend an entire day waiting at the courts for our turns to play. And to wait under the hot sun is an even bigger no-no. At the end of the carnival, I was just a tired old woman, thinking about the unwashed car, about her girls who had not gone to the beach in two weeks, about spending time with the man, worrying about the photodamage done onto her already-starting-to-line skin.

I did have dinner with the man... at eleven at night, and by the time I reached home, I had only energy left to drag myself to the bathroom and then plonk myself onto bed again.

Sunday was just an accumulation of the fatigue from the activities over the past few days (yes, work-days included). The only redeeming activity I did was to bring my girls out... near the beach, but not to the beach. We had a good time hanging out at the cafe with their papa and Auntie Karks, and meeting up with other dogs. It was like a dogs' playground where all the dogmamas started talking to each other, asking about one another's dog. You could tell from this playground who had, and who hadn't, maternal instincts already. I think the girls didn't miss their swim. They followed me to my basketball training later in the evening, and I could tell they were just contented to be there watching me.

Such whole-day events aren't for dogs either, I discovered. Especially not for 'old-lady' dogs like my Piper, who in human years should be about - *gasp* - all of 32. The girls were the ones who were knocked out in bed last night, and last I heard from the man, they're still sleeping now.

I wanna be a dog!!!!

No comments: