Wednesday, January 02, 2008

From One to Another

And another one goes by yet again.

In my short six months here as a foreigner, I have rather quickly celebrated three personally affecting occasions. First, there was the big three-O. Then there was Christmas. And now, I'm watching the turn of another calendar year, this time with my ass frozen and my toes all numb.

Contrary to much popular belief, I didn't have a crazy one. I'm a little done with craziness for the time being; it has been getting way too senseless. The mood has been chilled (no thanks to the weather), and I thought I'd like to keep it that way for a while.

So I am glad. That, with my usual buncha cronies, we ate and then we chilled instead.

IMG_3313
IMG_3309
IMG_3315
IMG_3318
IMG_3332
IMG_3328
IMG_3334
IMG_3322
IMG_3337


In all, I suppose it had been mostly a good one, the last day of the year. Like I had really wanted it to be.

I got to work in the morning, cleared some mail, had it slow and easy, stayed away from the boss, ate my favorite soup for lunch.

Then, for the rest of the afternoon, I set out on my mission. The "Newness" campaign. The "ME-Make-ME-Feel-Good" mission. A rather hesitant mission, but one I thought was very much needed for the ME-soul.

I got more cleaning tools for the poor house, and I picked up a pair of warmer-looking bedroom slippers as well.

I got myself nice underwear. New color. Limited edition some more.

I got that down jacket, which was more of a necessity than a desire because I aim to come back alive. But point was, I did splurge.

And then it came to the crunch of the day: one or two, one or two, one or two, one or two... ?

In the end, without much thinking on deliberate, it was two.

Paulie and Katie. Like yin and yang. Nicely balanced.

When the mission was all done and over, I rushed home and put on my favorite dress. Just so I could say I had worn it once in the soon-to-be-past year. Despite the biting chill.

I ate one of the most awesome fried rice ever in my life (perhaps since I am not the biggest fan of fried rice).

In fact, I think I might have found a much-needed new hideout for the coming year. Something the current ones can't offer. Good food... wait. Good Japanese food to go with the gin-and-tonic. I think I will try the Vietnamese menu next.



I have no resolutions for the new year, as usual. Maybe since I have more checkpoints and pit-stops in my usual days than normal.

For now, I just know I am tucking the card away. And then I need to pick up a couple of books to get something going.

Oh yes, and try to get some running tomorrow. If I could thaw my frozen lazy ass.


IMG_3341
I miss the third.

No comments: