Friday, June 29, 2007

Moms (Or, Maybe Just Mine) Say The Darnest Things

Months ago...

Mama: Aren't you going to get a kid?
Fatmama: ????? (Huh?? Where did that come from??)
Fatmama: HAH?! Like how?? I don't even have a man now??
*Silence*
Mama: How about your friends? See if any of your friends has kids and if they don't want, can give you?
Fatmama: !!!!!!!
Fatmama: Ma!!! What you talking about?! This is not China leh!
Mama: Ha ha ha. Yah hor.
*Silence*
Mama: Or, how about you ask Kor-kor to give birth to another one and give you?
Fatmama: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fatmama: Maaaaaaa!!!! What you talking about????
Mama: Ha ha ha. Ok lah. Just giving ideas.
*Silence*
Fatmama: Ma. Why you worry? If I really wanted a child, you think your daughter here cannot find a man?
Mama: !!!!!!!
Mama: Ok, I am just kidding. OK?


Just two nights ago...

Mama: I am really very happy for you.
Mama: I hope you find a good man there.
Fatmama: Ma, what if I get an ang moh man?
Mama: (smilingGood! Very good!!!
Fatmama: ?!?!?!?! (Why the heck is she so approving??)
Fatmama: Orrrrrrrhh!!! I know liao. You just want that 'zhap zeng' grandson, right?!?!?!
Mama: (beaming like the Sun and choking on her own laughter) Yah lor. I miss Mark a lot.

For your information, Mark is this darn cute lil' 'zhap zeng kia' my Mom used to babysit. Born to a Chinese mom and a British dad.


Now I know.

My own Mom sees me only as a grandchild-bearing machine.

=/

No comments: