Monday, August 21, 2006

Dr Fatmama

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


My baby girl has a catheter inserted into her left hind leg. The leg, together with the other three, that has "elephant skin", so says the animal doctor. "As thick as leather," continues he.

I would like to shove a gun right down his throat, but I would also have been one of 'em crazy, unreasonable bitch of a mom.

No, I'll be a cool mom, like I've always said.

So, the catheter is stuck right uncomfortably there into her vein, and will continue to be so for the next five days. Mommy is going to have to play house-doctor - pumping in vitamins into her tiny vein, two times a day, everyday for the next week or so.

Not as easy a feat as it might look. My heart bleeds a little more everytime her leg flinches as the needle finds its way through the rubber tubing.

I know, Pipes. Mommy would like to kill someone too, if I were you. But still, that doesn't give you no reason to go round chasing and nipping your poor sis.

Hang in there, baby. I know it's almost close to hell, where you are right now. Pain and itch just don't go nicely together, not especially when you can't do no shit about it.

In a few more days, you will (or at least, should) feel much better. And in a few months, you will be looking spanking new all over again. I don't know what my blind faith is based upon, other than that huge bomb that dropped down on me this morning, but I promise you this.


The doctor seemed professionally competent and genuinely concerned - though my human doctor of a brother thought I had been sweetly conned. Ah, he's just feeling sore, from the probable realization that a doctor who cures small little four-legged creatures is earning much more than he is. You should've aspired to be a veterinarian instead, Kor - just like I once had.

Dr Ly was pretty confident that Piper's skin disorder was stress-induced. Right from the start - and not some yeast infection.

Stress that probably rooted from major changes in Piper's seemingly insignificant life.

"Any major changes in your household in the past year or so? Did you move house? Did you have a new baby?" He questioned, and I struggled to find an answer.

There was nothing else "life-changing" I could put a finger on, except...

The arrival of a new adopted sister, who now shares not only the same bed, but also the affection of Mommy.

The sudden addition of two new humans into the already-crammed household, one of which is a terror in the form of a tiny 3-year-old toddler.

And... perhaps most of all, the sudden exit of an once-permanent figure from Piper's life, a father whom she has known since she was only all of two months. And, for the life of her, she would never understand where Papa has gone to.

I couldn't explain all but one to Dr Ly.

Everything's just too crazy - even for me.

No comments: