Monday, February 18, 2008

Zhok

It's self-declared kiam cai month again.

For one, I've not been entirely successful at keeping the card at bay. Somehow, I just keep "seeing things". Like the "Spirited Away" dvd that I've been searching almost all across Asia for for the past few months, that I actually finally found in the record store just minutes before the show last night. And they say preggers bring good luck.

Also, I think I have been too well-fed over the past don't-know-how-many weeks. I can't even recall now if it all began way before or during the festivity, though I tend to suspect the former. Too much of a good food (Japanese, Korean, Thai, Indian, Singaporean, home-cooked, hotpots, burgers, lots and lots of dim sum... arrrgh!) is making me a little sick. But most of all, I think I'm feeling sick because I haven't moved my ass for weeks. No running, no ball, it's so sickening I actually perspired while boxing on the Wii.

And so, today I bought two bottles of pickled lettuce/cucumber from the supermarket.


I have also developed a strange obsession with congee these days. The mushy, mushy kinds you get here in the Honks.

And since congee goes very well with pickled lettuce/cucumber, I decided to try my hand at boiling my own congee today.

I still haven't figured out what didn't really go quite right, but I must say, short-grained Japanese rice seems to make really awesome congee. After an hour's of boiling, I gave up trying to get to the desired point of mushiness.

What turned out wasn't that bad at all, not especially with one fresh raw egg dumped right in the middle, a few dashes of dark soy sauce, a spoonful of pickled cucumber, and a generous heap of nori seaweed strips.

I am so in love with my own concoction.


Mom once remarked, I could eat so simply I could easily live through wartime.

IMG_3870

No comments: