Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tokyo, Baby!

I know. I’m terrible.

It’s been four months, and I really ought to be running back home to kiss my girls, and hug the little ones, and drink Mom’s soup whenever I get a chance to sneak out of the Honks.

But if a home trip is not possible just when you’re dying to run away and get some fresh air for the soul, I suppose running the opposite direction instead to my other favorite place would be the next best thing I could do for myself.


Somehow the excitement seems to have faded over the past couple of weeks. Indeed this is probably not the best time to run away; not just two weeks before the bloody meeting and with deadlines lined up in the meantime. Maybe it was just excitement from the spur-of-the-moment the minute I hung up the phone with the travel agent. Maybe it is guilt now that is gnawing at my conscience.

Or maybe, it’s just simply a bad idea to not sleep the night before the trip.

In any case, I feel like I already had a bloody long day. My knees are screaming out in pain. I am feeling hot and flustered in the damp, humid summer. My eyes are refusing to cooperate with my brain and my hands.

And all I’ve done today, after being on the road for more than half of it, was to eat ramen and join the Shibuya crowd for a short hour before the shops started closing. Of course, I had also spent about the same amount of time, looking for that one ramen meal.


No complaints, don’t get me wrong.

Nothing has gone wrong so far. Nothing can probably ever go quite wrong for me in Tokyo.

No matter how randomly and blindly I pick a restaurant where the waitress understands only one percent of what I try to gesture, I still get food that is never bad.

And I don’t think I can pull off the Part-A and Part-B shit here like I did in Taipei. I can never leave any one bit of my food uneaten here.

When I stray too far off and venture into unknown territories, I don’t really have to worry about making my way back to the subway. I just follow the people – someone in the bloody crowd must be taking the subway home.

Maybe, I’ve just been lucky so far.

Well then, tomorrow shall be the real test.


Okay.

Massive plans for the next couple of days.

I’ve barely four hours left for bed now, but I think I’m starting to feel excited again.


A new place explored: Ikebukuro. And there's always something new I learn.

I love this awesome place.

hweech 002

No comments: