Saturday, October 04, 2008

Three: 東京

I am not feeling very spirited this morning.

One, I'm leaving Hokkaido in just about four hours.
Two, I cannot make up my mind what to eat for my last meal here this morning.
Three, the sun has come out after taking a break from work yesterday.

It is indeed such a beautiful day. Sun's out, yet the breeze lingers on. Perfect for a walk.

I do need a walk after all. I have already scooted out from the room (because I have to), and chucked my luggage at the storage. Since I can't decide what to eat, I shall take a walk around and see what might interest me.

I should have a good two hours before I need to jump on the train to the airport.

hweech 003hweech 002hweech 007hweech 008hweech 037hweech 010

Lovely day. The sheer activity along the streets tells me it is a lovely day.

I suddenly remember some place I have yet to see. And that almost immediately gives me an idea how I will spend the next two hours.

I will do a lovely breakfast picnic at the Odori Park. So I pop in quickly at the food market and grab something. Well, which of course can't be all that quick if there is so much around to tempt me. Finally, I settle on yet another pretty bento box.

Sweet.

There seem to be quite some festivals and activities going on. A kiddo dance competition taking place at the main station tower, which I would surely love to watch but I really can't. Some open house at some government house with a lovely lake, someone's painting by the water.

Then, there's the famous Sapporo Autumn Festival, which I think I am actually in time to miss.

Shite.

hweech 011hweech 019hweech 021hweech 024

I probably will never be able to tell what exactly makes a park so fascinating that people flock to it. Not the fountain, I hope? Maybe to the kids, yeah.

But I think what does make a park fascinating to me is the people you see, the things that happen.

Kids, babies, dogs, old folks, young couples, cyclists - you name it, you get it.

Maybe the greenery makes me feel very happy too.

A perfect spot to just sit and literally watch the world go by. I just got to find some nice tree for some shade first.

hweech 017hweech 031hweech 039hweech 040

I find my perfect spot under huge canopies, and right next to the thrash bin. But that's fine, because at least I know it's there. You might not know, but it is such a bother to me having to thrash something in Japan.

It is actually such fine weather, I think I might have gotten a little flush in my face walking to the park. I need to remove my cardigan.

Which I quickly put back on after a mere few minutes.

I set my bento box on my lap and am ready to tuck in. Mmm. Mmm. MMM.

I check out the benches to my left and right. Ah, a couple of ladies are having a nice breakfast (or, is it their early lunch?) as well to my right. What a nice change from Starbucks.

Pigeon is hounding them. Lady hesitates to offer any food. You know what that does to a pigeon. Right, he will next summon all his friends over for some free meal.

Nice move, lady.

I am barely halfway through my own breakfast, when I notice Pigeon has given up on the ladies and hopped over to hound me instead.

For a split moment, I think I see Piper.

Oh, what a pesky fella this one is. Not quite giving up on me. None of my yummy rice for you, sucker.

I cannot be bothered with Pigeon, because I am too caught up admiring every single bit of my bento box. But all of a sudden, I realize he's gone.

I look up, and look around... Ah! There the dude is... with all his friends now.

Some uncle has decided to make friends with them.

Nice guy.

hweech 018hweech 015hweech 027hweech 022

Oh by the way, I am so newly in love with the onsen tamago.

It's that egg with the hard-boiled white and soft-boiled, almost raw yolk. I have never had that outside of Japan.

How the hell they make that, I've been puzzling over the past couple of days since I first had it in my other bento box.

*****

I'm finally done with my time in Sapporo, and on my way to the airport.

*Sniffles*

hweech 046hweech 047

I am amazed with the New Chitose Airport of Sapporo.

So many things to buy. So many people hanging out there. I think it's more of a shopping mall than anything else.

I am also very impressed with the ANA staff at the New Chitose Airport.

Especially the dude who serves me.

Because he speaks perfect American-English (what the hell is he doing at the check-in counter?). And he is so, so, so, so cute.

*****

I managed to jump on a much earlier flight from Sapporo, since I had grossly miscalculated the timing and ended up arriving so early at the airport for my domestic flight.

Cute-san looked a tad frustrated, trying to change my flight. But I might as well have done that on purpose anyway because he looks much cuter with his furrowed brows.

Anyway, it's about four hours later, and I am back in Tokyo, lugging my bags to the hotel.

Almost losing sensation in my legs, but actually feeling lots of love in my heart.


hweech 052hweech 055hweech 054hweech 056

I am being so tired and lazy, I almost got stuck in the room - all thanks to some hilarious dance show on TV.

But it's getting late. I think it's almost 7. I should get out, take a walk, feel the vibes, and get some food.

This is my second time staying in Ikebukuro, but I have never really once explored the place. I do know my way really well between the hotel and the subway though.

Well, this place is full of life!

Which lead me to pondering a little: if there are thousands of people (maybe tens of thousands?)here in Ikebukuro on a Saturday night, how many thousands of folks are there in Shinjuku and Shibuya and Harajuku and other areas and how many are actually at home watching TV?

I'm glad I came out.


hweech 060hweech 062

I actually do think I should explore the food in Ikebukuro.

But I am really clueless, where to go, what to eat. I put that down to my exhaustion. I think half my brain has gone to bed.

So I will just grab some yakitoris at one of those izakayas near the hotel.

The two, or three, beers I have should tuck me in really nicely tonight.

hweech 036

No comments: