Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Seven: 家

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!

My last day, and I oversleep yet again. And I have only fifteen minutes before the check-out time at 10.

I've got most of my stuff packed, I can't believe I actually have to pull out the extra bag from the luggage. And I never ever have to use, or even bring, an extra bag. My stuffing ability has been quite superb. I must've got some premonition this time.

I should be out by 10-half. And then, let me think about how to spend the rest of the day.


My breakfast plan is ruined. So I can only do one lunch. Dammit.

I should have about 5 hours or so to spend in town, until I have to leave for the airport. Then, I will do one last bento box at the airport. I love the food in the Haneda airport.

And I love this route between Honks and Haneda. The departure timings on either way are sure damn weird, but oh, Haneda is such a blessing. It usually takes me more than two hours to get to Narita from town, but I zip to Haneda in about 30 minutes.

This definitely sounds so much more humane.

Anyways, I am also thinking about that pair of boots I saw last night but hesitated buying. I told myself, if the boots haunt me the whole night, I will run back and buy them before I leave.

Let me see if they still haunt me after lunch. And if something else can take them off my mind in Daikanyama.


I didn't actually quite plan on visiting Daikanyama this trip, so I didn't yesterday. Not that I love Daikanyama no more, I still do. But I really am in a desperate bid to stop myself from buying more than I really need.

But this morning, I cave in. I think I have nowhere else to go. And I think I really, really quite miss it. So Daikanyama it is.

And I'm pretty sure I am in control. After all, I don't have much more space in my luggage anymore.


By this stage, by the way, I think I am starting to slip into mild depression.

And the rain that hasn't stopped since last night is not helping me at all.

I know... don't cry for me, Tokyo. You gotta make this easier for me.


I am getting into quite a pathetic fix now. The rain has come and gone a few times, but is now looking rather serious. I don't have a brolly, I only have my hooded sweat as a pathetic raincoat. My stomach's growling, but I refuse to settle for just anything.

Even though, I don't even know what I'm looking for.

The feel has got to be right at least.

I walk and walk in the rain, and am about to give up finding something that interests me... when I see something that interests me.

IMG_5647IMG_5648

A noodle shop! Tucked quietly behind a tiny lane.

Awesome. I can never have enough noodles. And I think I haven't done much noodles this trip anyway.

Figuring out the menu is a bit of a challenge here, but I manage to make out this place serves udon and soba. I can't decide between my udon in soup or my zaru soba.

In the end, I decide to do something I don't usually do: soba in soup. And some sanma.

The soup turns out a little too salty as I drink more, but the soba taste pretty neat in soup. I can't say any more about the sanma, but really, trust the Japanese when they recommend fish in season. They usually never go wrong. The fish, I mean.

Again, a dish that makes me think of home. Especially on a cold, rainy day.


I manage to make my way back to the subway in the rain - but not before picking up a beret. Yes, a beret like the one you put on your head.

I have already decided. The boots. So I run back to Harajuku as well to pick them up.

I am well ahead of time. By the time I pick up my luggage and get to the airport, I should still have plenty of time to enjoy another bento. Or maybe, a Freshness burger.


But the bento never happens. Nor the Freshness burger.

I get to Haneda, walk past the burger and the bento shops, but decide I should check in first - just in case. And then, I find out I am in the wrong terminal.

I ask around for directions, and after a while, someone who finally speaks decent English manages to direct me to the shuttle bus stop.

So, I have to take a bus to the next terminal. What about all these bentos and burgers? Eat now? Come back later? Well, I think they should have at least the bento shops in the international terminal.

And they don't.

I check in, and I see the longest queue ever at the departure gates. I have only about an hour and a half left.

Fuck, there is no way I am going to make it, if I return to the domestic terminal for the bentos.

The last bit of the trip has turned out a huge disappointment for me.

IMG_5649

I am in the official state of depression.

No comments: